What's new

Survivor Palau: Season 10 (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
The week of Feb. 14-18, Family Feud (syndicated) has 10 past Survivor contestants playing...should be fun.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Is there an easy way to increase participation in the pick'em thread? I've been fortunate enough to catch it in time to pick a pony during the last two seasons, but it always seems like several people miss out and then the thread doesn't serve much of a purpose throughout the rest of the season other than notifying someone that they lost.

Maybe if it served a dual purpose - first to pick the overall winner, but then on a weekly basis to wager points on who will be eliminated each week. I seem to recall someone doing something along those lines in the past, but I don't know if it was here or somewhere else.

Brad

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I don't mind running the HTF challenge like I do for TAR but I don't want to be stepping on the toes of Alex, Michael and Mark P, who have run ithe Survivor HTF challenge in the past seasons. If no one posts it by Wednesday, I'll get it going then.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Then no one starts picking till' Wednesday?

I wanted to try HTF Chalenge for TAR 7 but by the time I realized that chosing had already started... Their were only 3 or 4 teams left, none of which interested me. So I decided to sit this one out.

The winner of an HTF Chalenge (TAR, Survivor ect...) should get to pick first for the next chalenge... That would be what "he/she" won.

Just an idea, too late for me though...

GARY C

Second Unit

You could always leave it open (no fixed, 1 per player picks) and base it off of a point system. That way more than the standard 16 (18?) people could participate in it if they wanted.

Each player picks a winner, and then also picks the order in which he/she thinks people will get voted off.

You could have the point system as something like;

50 points for picking the winner.
25 points for the correct final four.
And 10 points for each correct weekly guess.

You could also add in bonuses for consecutive weeks (say another 5 points for every week in a row) and / or other similar accomplishments.

Something like this allows for more people to play and IMO better tests everyone’s skill at evaluating all the Survivors before you see them on TV (and realize how screwed up they are :) ).

Just a suggestion.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I've been thinking about a points system for the last week or so and you guys have inspired me a little more, especially since I seem to get eliminated from my own contests after one or two weeks. :) Here's my idea:

I'd rather keep it as a full season contest as opposed to a weekly one, (it's just easier to do one initial setup and then update after each episode) and still have the same base to the contest, which is one sole survivor per person. After that, each participant would pick three more castaways for their own final four, and these three castaways would not be exclusive per participant, meaning the same castaway can be added to any final four. You'd get a certain amount of points for picking the sole survivor, and then the amount of points would decrease if any of your final four (including your sole survivor pick) make second, third, or fourth place. We could could also have a set amount of points for the jury to keep even more people in the game Here's one way I envision the points system working:

First place: 20
Second place: 15
Third place: 10
Fourth place: 5
Jury: 3

Since this idea is like a rough draft, please post feedback so we can fine-tune it a little in the short amount of time we have until the premiere. If I have time, I will try to post the contest tonight or tomorrow night, and if you all like this structure, I can do the same for the TAR7 contest.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Interesting way to start out, and boy it had to suck to be the first 2 to go. But whatsherface sealed her fate with the looney Survivor songs she kept singing.

And please remember, no spoilers are required once the show is done on the east coast, and we will rely on those on the west coast to exercise restraint in reading this ongoing thread until it's aired for them before reading this thread prematurely each week.

But please spoilerize rumors for upcoming episodes. If you are just making conjectures, please preface them and they won't need to be spoilerized.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You'd think since Survivor has been on the air for at least 4 years, most contestants could understand the valor of not being so bossy from the start, but that lesson obviously wasn't part of the plan for one of the lawyers whose insistence cost their tribe crucial time in the immunity challenge, and made for an easy vote, though it wasn't unanimous since the outcast was also the other easy target at the outset.

I can't believe James the redneck is from my hometown, it's almost embarassing to listen to him talk. Geez...

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
man, that had to suck. You're not on the island for more than a day and you go home because you weren't picked on a team? Damn.

Thank GOD the singer went home. She annoyed the hell out of me and she was only on for what, 20 minutes?

When will the type A bossy types learn?? She didn't have a chance. Proclaiming work and rest hours right before tribal? Are you kidding me??

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Overall, I liked the twists but I wish they left the two tribes on the same beach for a few more days. It would have been interesting to see the dynamics between the winners and losers each week. Oh well.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'm also glad the singing teacher wasn't picked. I don't mean to be a jerk, but she was just too damn annoying. I don't think I could have watched the show this season if I knew she would be singing every episode. I'll bet that young dude with frosted hair was severely pissed that the old bald guy got picked over him. :D

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
This season is already 50 times better than Vanuatu. :D

Glad Wanda's gone, glad Angie stayed although I like Jolanda. Still rooting for Tom, Ian, Stephenie, Coby, and Jenn.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
I knew Wanda was a goner as soon as she started singing. Does anyone know how long the castoffs stay in the area. Do they get sent home immediately or do they stay with the production team so that all participents go home at the same time.
Thanks
Greg

Diallo B

Screenwriter
the black woman was an ASS! she definitely suffered from SBWS. (Strong Black Woman Syndrome) anyone that has watched any season of survivor knows that the people that are most vocal about trying to lead the tribe or are bossy are the first to leave. dumb ass.

as for the way they dress. these dummies should know by now that they are going to get stranded and be ass out. so why not attempt to dress the part or at least have on something under their clothes.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
And how about the first private camera moment of the season, James starts out with the f but quickly corrects himself, funny stuff.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Overall, this was an unexpected fun and entertaining TV experience for me! After last season, I really thought that the whole Survivor concept had run out of gas. But, tonight's premiere episode came across as surprisingly fresh! I thought the combined reward/immunity challenge was inventive and it really required every member of both teams to work together. By contrast, I thought many of the Vanuatu challenges were boring rehashes of things we'd seen before. Also, I think the pairings we wound up with are pretty amazing. The producers would be hard-pressed to come up with better results than this (seemingly) random selection process yielded. For the first time in a LONG time, I am looking forward to seeing how a season of Survivor plays out, as opposed to merely watching it out of habit...

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
As others have noted, the weirdest weirdo and the weakest weakling will always last longer than the bossiest boss when it comes to the first tribal council. Fortunately, this cruel new structure for the start of Survivor allowed them to get rid of one weirdo, one boss, and one brawny competitor. It was mean, but it was also really good TV.

By the way, wasn't Johnathan the one in the promo who said he couldn't go home if he was the first one eliminated? Guess what, John...

My first thoughts on the tribes:

Koror (5 guys, 4 gals):
Ian (a likeable guy, but he's way too tall - he's going to get sick without steady food)
Katie (she was downright giddy to be the first one picked and seems to be well liked)
Tom (Katie's no dummy - he's a strong team member and he'll do well in the challenges - Everyone deferred to him on the beach choice so he's their obvious leader even if he made the wrong choice)
Janu (I think Tom respected her tree climbing, but he would have taken Steph if she hadn't just been picked)
Gregg (Janu looked sad like she was losing a friend to the other team when she made this pick)
Jenn (immediately went to Katie and hugged - ALLIANCE! She was on camera alot, but I can only remember her saying Coby's name when she picked him - MORE CAMERA TIME FOR JENN!)
Coby (might call him Richard Hatch Jr. - the pink shirt and cutoff jean shorts make me think he might just possibly be homosexual, maybe... :) )
Caryn (so happy to get picked, and she can lawyer talk with Willard - Coby knew he would endanger his own position if he picked Angie)
Willard (he was fortunate that Caryn was making the pick, he's probably first on the chopping block unless somebody really screws up a challenge)

Ulong (5 gals, 4 guys):
Jolanda (classic prototype for the first one gone, which is good news for the guy responsible for the editing in the thong blur)
Bobby Jon (Coby said "Good choice", he was hanging with Ibrehem later in the show)
Stephenie (High fives as she joined the team, she got lots of camera time on the show, jumping out of the boat was a bad idea)
Jeff (more high fives, he looks to be one of the strongest Survivors - but sometimes those muscles are just cosmetic - "Hercules! Hercules!")
Kim (took Jeff awhile and the high fives were gone, didn't see much of her during the show)
James (at this point he's just grateful to get picked, seems like he's filling the Big Tom/Rudy/Clay good 'ol boy role)
Ashlee (she seemed very relieved to get picked, she may have turned the tide against Jolanda but it was with an alliance of anyone but me's)
Ibrehem (he must be tough to get along with if he was picked this late - he's nearly as tall as Ian)
Angie (Ibrehem could have said "not Wanda", there was way too much Angie camera time)

Koror looked to be the better team after the divide and that held up in the challenge. I think they're in trouble after picking the wrong beach and dumping their rewards, but I expect them to continue to perform well.

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks