What's new

Survivor: Micronesia (Fans vs. Faves) Premieres 2/7/08 (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Entertainment Weekly has revealed the 10 rookies and 10 favorites who will be playing in the upcoming season of Survivor (premieres 2/7).

I have to say, I wanted to root for the fans with maybe one or two past favorites but I'm not too impressed by the fans--seems like the same old models and actors they've been recruiting for a while now on the surface at least. Go Fairplay! (And Ami, Yau-man, Eliza, Cirie, and Jonathan)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you remember, Anthony...Cirie would be a the absolute top of my list for all-time annoying Survivor. So, I am already looking for an early ouster.

I think the returnees are going to be at a disadvantage in this match-up. I'll be rooting for Yau-man and Pavarti and Ami.

I wonder why Tom Westman declined to participate? Maybe he didn't want to take the time away from the firehouse again. But, IIRC, his ego was pretty big. I'da thunk he'd have jumped at the chance to try again. Or maybe he saw how past winners were early vote-offs in All-Stars #1.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that they asked Tom to come back, since they didn't ask any of the other winners. I initially thought they must have made a decision not to have any past winners, although asking Tom seems to contradict that.
I'm disappointed there's no Ian - I would have thought he was a clear person to bring back - especially since they did ask Tom. Hopefully they did approach him and he said No.

I am really surprised Jonny Fairplay is on the show. I never saw Pearl Islands (my first season was All-Stars), but have heard so much about him, and particularly Probst's famed hatred of Fairplay (doesn't he refuse to even be in the same room with him?), that I am seriously shocked to see him returning. I would love to have been in the meeting when they told Probst about that piece of casting.

I am overjoyed by two pieces of casting - Yau-Man and Jonathan. Jonathan would probably be my favourite Survivor player of the seasons I have seen, so I'm really hoping for him to do well. The thing I really liked about Jonathan is that he is really intelligent, and plays the game well. And he didn't seem to take game decisions personally, which is really rare for Survivor contestants.

Amanda is wearing another absurdly tiny bikini, so I guess we can guarantee lots more blurring.

Cirie - am I right in remembering her as initially being afraid of leaves, but she really grew over the show? I think I liked her. I can't remember much detail, but I do seem to remember she played the game really well.

Overall, it's a good cast, disappointment about Ian's absence aside. There was no-one included that made me think "Who?"

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Yul was asked and actually agreed to participate--but he got cut when they decided to make it fans vs. favorites and not full All-Stars (ditto for Vanuatu's Twila, Panama's Terry, and a few others--I know Ian was approached but I don't know if he declined or not).

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Okay, that's interesting. On my initial read of the EW article, I misread the quote "Palau's winner, Tom Westman, declined to participate. (No other past winners were chosen.)" as being "No other winners were approached".
Sorry about my confusion. I just thought it made sense to not approach winners, since they have already won once, and just focus on the people that did well, but not that well.

Good to know they didn't forget Ian, and I hope he did decline, rather than getting dropped to cut down numbers, since in my view there are people that deserve to be there less than Ian.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I definitely would have been up for a full-blown all-stars with the announced cast plus Ian, Yul, Terry & Twila. And, hell, let Bobby Jon & Stephanie at it again, too! It would be "all-stars" after all! :D

That's interesting info, Anthony. Any other names that you've read about?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head:
I think Fairplay was the only pre-All-Stars contestant asked.
Chris (Vanuatu winner) - not asked
Coby (Palau) - Another victim of the reduction from full All-Stars to fans vs. favorites
Steph (Palau/Guatemala) - Not approached
Jenn (Palau) - Approached but not sure what happened
Courtney (Panama) - Approached but not sure what happened
Shane (Panama) - Approached but not sure what happened
Candice (Cook Islands) - Approached but declined because of medical school
Dreamz (Fiji) - I know that he was considered; don't know if he was approached though
Courtney (China) - Approached but declined :frowning:
Peih-Gee (China) - Approached but not sure what happened

They may not have asked anyone from Guatemala but I'm not 100% sure.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
I wonder if any thought was given to bringing back that survivor who had to leave because of his fire burns? I believe his name was Michael. Anybody know if he was approached.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Yep, Mike Skupin in season 2. I don't believe he was contacted for Micronesia, but he was set to appear on the original All-Stars before getting cut in favor of Rupert. He was also asked to appear on Guatemala (which featured two returning players) but they went with Bobby Jon instead.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Man, Anthony...you must read up a ton on this stuff! :D

Skupin was CUT from the original all-stars on behalf of Rupert?!?! That must've really pissed him off!

I was thinking all the others who were approached but later cut from Micronesia must've gotten pretty tiked off, too.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Decent premiere, although as of right now, I still say the fans vs. favorites concept was a huge mistake, as I really couldn't care less about any of the fans, not even the crazy lady.

Sucks to see the star of the season go so early--definitely an interesting albeit more low-key exit than I expected, but that's what makes Fairplay such a brilliant character; he's always throwing curveballs. I can't help but think this'll turn out like Richard Hatch's ouster in All-Stars, which was the point where it stopped being fun. There are still some great people here (Yau-man, Cirie, Jonathan, Ami, Eliza) but Fairplay was definitely the star of tonight's episode, and even with only one episode this time, I honestly think he'll still be one of the top three most entertaining personalities of the season.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i cant believe you guys remember who is who from each season with such detail/clarity.

the only season i didnt make it all through was last season and i would have to
look it up to remember some of the names mentioned that were cuts for this season.

btw i would watch a tv show with just parvati walking around in a bikini

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pavarti & James. Ozzy & Amanda.

Ah...it's good to be young and attractive and stuck on a desolate island

(with producers and cameramen and audio people and other contestants who want to kick you off! ...and an entire nation watching your every move!) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks