What's new

Survivor Guatemala: Season 11 (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
That 11 mile hike throught the hot jungles of Guatemala is really pushing the limits. I mean to see 5 guys bowled over hurling and nearly going unconscience is ridiculous. Every season they try to push the line to boost ratings and eventually someone is going to get very hurt. I have heard that Tom and Ian from last season still suffer the effects of the pole standing competition.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'd rather watch this than see them having a shelter built for them like in Palau.

Do you mean the booey (sp?) one? It lasted almost 12 hours--you stand still on anything for 12 hours and you're going to be in pain.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I said the other night after watching this that Mark Burnett won't be satisfied until he actuall kills somebody on the show. Now THAT is "must see TV". :D

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I was very surprised to see all these big guys dropping like flies but the theory about bodies with more mass dehydrating faster (or something like that) makes sense. It was pretty creepy seeing Bobby Jon rolling his eyes though. That looked pretty serious.

I'm glad they brought back Bobby Jon and Stephanie. They were my 2 favorite survivors last season and the hardest workers. Too bad they're going to be a target throughout the season.

Man, Thursdays at 8PM is a tough night. Too many good shows to watch!

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I'm a physician and a hiker, and seeing the men keel over in the heat did not surprise me. First as I recall they were carrying the lion's share of cargo which substantially increased their exertions. Secondly, larger bodies (generally men) have a higher mass to surface area ratio. Skin is a heat radiator; large muscular men have less skin surface area per pound than a smaller, more slender body. This would be an advantage in a cold environment, minimizing heat loss, but its a distinct disadvantage in a hot humid one.

we return you now to your regular scheduled programming.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Stephen, thanks for the input. Do you think sombody as far gone as Bobby John (Eyes rolling up, semi concious) would be able to get up in a few hours and participate in the boat pulling challenge? I would think that just drinking water at that stage would not work for a long time. I suspect they had to have given them IV Fluids.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking the same thing Scott. Bobby Jon looked in very bad shape, like he was going into shock. I didn't think he'd be able to participate in the next challenge but he was right there pulling on that boat some time later.

I wonder how much time he had in between to recover.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I was concerned about Bobby Jon as well. His condition could be explained by several things, but only one would allow him to recover quickly. Dehydration was an early concern, but I was more concerned about hyponatremia (low serum sodium) which occurs when you sweat and rehydrate with plain water. Cerebral edema can result causing altered mental status, disorientation, even seizures. One doesn't bounce back quickly from that and IV electrolytes would be in order. More likely Bobby was in the early stages of heat exhaustion, overheating from the exertion in the heat, poor sweat evaporation in the humidity and dehydration. In this case, cooling him down and hydrating him would result in a quick recovery.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I'm not sure if we're no longer doing spolier spots for the west coast show, but I'll just consider this a warning.

Does anyone else think it's dumb for Gary to be hiding his NFL career at this point? If someone on the other tribe knows, then he's going to have to deal with it at some point in the game, provided he isn't voted out beforehand. By choosing to deny it, he's only setting himself up for a big can of worms later on.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, Gary is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't because the others will most likely go by the "he's made a boatload of money by being in the NFL for over a decade so he doesn't need the money" mindset should his tribe lose immunity, which makes him an easy target. The longer he goes without confirming his NFL past, the better chance he has of forging alliances/friendship before his financial health comes into play amongst the rest of the players. If he can keep his past a secret longer, it's better for him in the long run because other players have to realize that it was probably in his best interest to deflect his past in order to stay in the game longer as an "average" person.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Much better than last week--loved seeing Danni out Gary. Glad Morgan got out; she was dead weight.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Danni is so skinny, it was not all that appealing to see her bones with so little body fat on her frame.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Good strategy:
- Danni confiding Gary's career to Brian
- Brian revealing this knowledge to Gary

Bad strategy:
- Danni shouting out Gary's career during the immunity challenge
- Brian shouting out Danni's info in front of the whole tribe

When you have a piece of knowledge that you know someone else is trying to keep secret, you gain nothing by revealing it to everyone else at a random moment. Brian needed to confront Gary privately and pretend that he recognized him. That would give him some future leverage and allow him to pretend that he was on Gary's side with respect to maintaining the secret.

In an attempt to champion the virtues of diversity, Jamie rattled off everyone's career, but Rafe was still just known as "the gay guy". :D

Lydia finally did the one thing that I've been longing for Survivor competitors to do during every season - she built a fish trap. Now she just needs to scale it up.

What will they do without a magician's assistant in the camp. They're doomed! :D

Brad

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I thought the reward challenge was a really good one - required strength, agility, and a bit of strategizing.

Agreed that Danni's revelation was a great strategy. Gary, while wondering out loud why she would do that, unknowingly told us what we already knew: to spread dissension among Gary's tribe and hurt unity. Fantastic tactic, if you ask me (which you didn't!).

I do think voting Morgan off was a tactical mistake. If she does add value to the challenges, keep her around. I think they should have voted Rafe off, as he appears to be fairly useless during any challenge.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Gary could have easily shrugged and ended the whole conversation by saying, "yah, I was a backup for a couple of years but it seems like a lifetime ago, now I just landscape for a living"

While not telling the entire truth, he could have easily just dismissed it as being a very small part of his life and defused what is now going to be a time bomb.

By the way, what did I miss about Lydia? Did she not complete the spiderweb immunity challenge when so many others could not? It did not make sense that they were claiming she was so weak in the challenges when she showed anything but. Reminds me a bit of the Angie situation when everyone just assumed she was useless because of how she looked.

Andy

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Lydia has been great so far...made it through every challenge and works her butt off at camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.