What's new

Survivor Gabon: HTF Top 10 Challenge: ***WINNER(S) AND PRIZE POSTED HERE *** (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Yes, I do. I waited until 8:00pm EDT to record the latest entries and to close out those who did not choose to enter (in fact I'm setting this up right now!). Within the hour the list of contestants will be posted in Message #1 of this thread as well as an updated spreadsheet as soon as the show airs tonight.

Will you beat your remarkable score of "9"? I would be REALLY impressed!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The Challenge First Week Results are posted (as well as the spreadsheet link). NOTE: Next week I'll be in L.A. for the HTF Hollywood meet so there is an outside chance that I won't be able to update the scores for Week #2 until I return on 10/29/08. It all depends on my ability to update the spreadsheet and results from a remote location. It's not a big deal because the contest has a long way to go with 7 people tied for "first" at this early juncture.

Stay tuned....

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Keep the faith, SuzanneB! "It ain't over 'til it's over," as Yogi Berra used to say. ;) Stranger things have happened in previous "Challenge" contests.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
An interesting DOUBLE ELIMINATION week. As per the rules, since both contestants were voted out in the 11 and 12 positions simultaneously I have assigned a point value of 11.5 to each exit. To avoid any spoilers here, full details may be found in the first message in this thread. All entrants now have at least one member gone from their list with mike caronia holding a slim lead at the moment.

Stay tuned....

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
EVERYBODY (except Patrick) takes a big hit this week! Losing Marcus this early was pretty unexpected. But that's what a random shuffle of the deck will do.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
my number 4 is out.
a few had him at #1 and at least one #2.
sorry mike.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Interesting. Exactly half of us had Marcus either winning or coming in second. So much for trying to figure this game out.

;)

Only mike caronia remains below the "Dheiner Line" at 08.5 points so far.

Stay tuned....

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I submit that "figuring this game out" is near impossible, Robert.

Only because of unexpected random shuffles like what we saw last night. It creates situations that make the weak strong and the strong weak.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

It's interesting that you bring this up, because it reminds me of an issue that has been pointed out to me which will make this the last "Survivor" HTF Top Ten Challenge. What I'm about to say is not meant to reflect on anyone here but is just a reality of the situation. There are Survivor "Spoiler" Internet sites out there which give away "privileged" information. Because everything but the final show is already finished months in advance of the airing of the show it would not be impossible for someone to narrow down the finalists before we make our selections. And even the odds of which finalists become the eventual champion can be compromised because of this delay in airing.

Granted, we are not talking about any major prizes here (just a nice selection of DVDs to be determined in a couple of weeks as we get closer to the end) so I'm not really concerned about that. And, as I stated before, I'm not questioning the integrity of our membership in any way. But facts are facts, and any time that an event is over before you cast your votes there is room for speculation regarding the validity. I would doubt that there is any "serious" wagering going on regarding Survivor in Vegas or similar.

However, that in no way will affect any "live" show that occurs in real time or close to it. Specifically, "American Idol" is fresh each week so any "spoiler" sites would be based on rumors and not on facts. To me that's no different than handicapping. So what I'm trying to say is that I will be dropping "Survivor" from our Top Ten Challenges after this one ends for the reasons stated above. American Idol will still offer us a challenge and I might add another "live" show (like Big Brother) to our Challenge List if it doesn't interfere with American Idol. I just don't like to run more that one contest at the same time. I trust that everyone understands.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's too bad. But I guess it makes sense. This has been fun. And, I don't watch American idol. :frowning:

Anyway, my comments above were mostly just a dig at the producers of Survivor that these random shuffles seem to take some of the spirit out of the game.

And the more they do it within a season, the more power they give to the element of chance--lessening predictability.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
While I personally don't read spoilers, from my understanding, this is the first season ever where there aren't any at all. I really do enjoy the HTF challenge and I'd rather see people who are suspect eliminated from future participation so that the rest of us can still have fun with it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Robert! Maybe if you don't mind the effort...and still enjoy the contests...maybe you could continue them into the future without the prizes.

Why not?!? It's more about the fun (and bragging rights) anyway...

Give it some thought.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert:

I've got a scoring question for you. I'll explain the question by stating a quasi-hypothetical.

I don't have Susie in my top ten. She is in my gang of four which were not expected to make the final ten. So, let's say she was voted off in the last episode (in 10th place) instead of Marcus. How many points would I receive?

It seems to me it can't be figured out because she was never assigned a numerical value in the "gang of four."

In the hypothetical she finishes in tenth place...but how can it be determined "how many away from 10" she is since I didn't label her #11 or #14 in my pecking order? If I had labeled her #11, I would have been assigned 1 point.

I have been over and over this in my head and cannot figure it out and yet I know you've been running these contests for awhile and must have some way of dealing with this.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks