What's new

Survivor Caramoan (season 26) - Fans vs. "Favorites" (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Agree with everyone that the reunion show sucked. I could see Boston Rob making an appearance considering how often Phillip mentioned him during the show, but did we really need to hear from Rudy & Hatch?

But I was happy to see Cochrane win. He was a different player this season (and even a different player at the end of this season than at the start). Not a physical threat, but he did manage to when challenges when it counted. And he managed to not make enemies on the jury.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Probably one of my least favorite seasons.

None of the final three deserved to win, particularly Cochran, the wimpiest nerd to ever play the game. He only made it to the end because of some extremely lucky wins at challenges. But wow did he brag, got really old the past few episodes, seems like he took on the Phillip persona, "I'm the Survivor King, blah, blah, blah." Hope they're done with him and don't ever have him back again in some other reunion type show.

Sherri sealed her fate when she admitted owning several business, 75 employees, etc.

Dawn may have pulled it off, but her emotional breakdowns didn't help her at all.

I've read several articles about Brandon being banned. Glad Jeff didn't mention him, no need for more publicity for such a despised family.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Stan:

I think you missed that Cochran was being self-deprecatingly sarcastic about his challenge prowess. No one knows more than him that he is a wimpy nerd. His way of dealing with that is to make fun of himself. At least that's my take on Cochran. I believe he was simply using irony to make his case.

Two of the individual challenges he won were aided by game twists (although one could argue that his win of final immunity really wasn't since everyone had caught up to him by the time he attached his first puzzle piece). He knows that.

His answers to the jury's questions were brilliant...and revelatory about his growth in the game--socially and as a manipulative player.

As to Brandon: CBS put him out there (they should have known better). CBS needed to provide closure to the audience about where Brandon is now--just like they used to do with all those voted off early on. Maybe that's one of the contributing factors as to why the early exits never made it to the stage.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
ahem.......
ChristopherG said:
Cochran is starting to look like a dark horse in this season. He is hitting his stride but now appears to be in the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" area regarding immunity challenges.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I think you missed that Cochran was being self-deprecatingly sarcastic about his challenge prowess. No one knows more than him that he is a wimpy nerd. His way of dealing with that is to make fun of himself. At least that's my take on Cochran. I believe he was simply using irony to make his case.
Thanks for the insight. Apparently I'm irony impaired and didn't get it at all.

Pretty good with sarcasm, but Cochran fooled me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Even a smart guy like Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory has problems with sarcasm sometimes... :biggrin:

Maybe you didn't see him on his first season? That experience would go a long way towards a better understanding of Cochran in this season.

NolanJ

Second Unit
One really only needs to look at the answer Cochrane gave Malcolm in the final tribal council to see how deserving of this victory he was. Can anyone of us think of another answer that would resonate so perfectly with the person asking the question? And you could tell by looking at the expression on Malcolm's face that he was kind of in awe and completely unexpecting of the answer Cochrane gave.

Very smart kid, and very good at the game.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Even a smart guy like Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory has problems with sarcasm sometimes... :biggrin:
Recently took some psychological tests and it kind of shocked my doctors and myself. I'm apparently very intelligent, scoring in the 99th percentile in most areas. I'm hardly a brain surgeon, but guess I'd be pretty good at Jeopardy.

They don't test for sarcasm or irony, so not sure where I'd measure on those scales.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Mike Frezon said:
I'm completely in agreement with Mike on his assessment of Cochran. I know people don't like him but I can't agree on why. We were rooting for him from the beginning. He may have had 'help' with the physical challenges he won, but he completely owned that eating one.

I was kind of annoyed they only had the jury on stage as well. They didn't even give the rest of the cast a passing scan from the camera. I would have liked to have heard from Francesca and Shamar. And I'm getting tried of seeing Boston Rob.

I'm still in two minds on the whole Dawn/Brenda thing. She was a threat and got voted off. It's not the first time someone has went feeling backstabbed and broken hearted.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Paul - I have commented several times on how interesting it is that we all here on HTF each have such different opinions. I had zero interest in hearing from either Francswesca or Shamar. I like the way Survivor has reshaped the reunion show and focus more on the final players.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How's this for a kick in the teeth, since neither Dawn nor Sherri garnered any votes, they got the average between 2nd and 3rd place, or $92,500 each. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
How's this for a kick in the teeth, since neither Dawn nor Sherri garnered any votes, they got the average between 2nd and 3rd place, or $92,500 each. :)
:laugh: All you needed was one vote, Dawn! One vote! And the $100k could've been yours! And you had to go and piss off Malcolm--who said he was going to be your "best friend" at final tribal.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would have been curious to hear from Shamar.

Bad edit? Or can you really have a lazy Marine?

Over the seasons, military types have generally been helpful types around camp. Shamar...not so much (apparently).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Paul D G said:
I'm still in two minds on the whole Dawn/Brenda thing. She was a threat and got voted off. It's not the first time someone has went feeling backstabbed and broken hearted.
There is a pretty clear line between "in the game" and "out of the game". You can back stab players if your relationship is "in the game" and get away with it -- Cochran even garnered respect and jury votes. But when you cross the line and go "out of the game", where you create a relationship that is not perceived to be rooted in gameplay, there will be a huge sense of betrayal and backlash. This was the divide between Cochran and Dawn -- Cochran was solely "in the game" -- if anything, he was respected for his machinations and blind sides. But Dawn went "out of the game" and then leveraged it "in the game". And that's where she ran afoul -- whatever Cochran did was gameplay. What Dawn did was not gameplay -- she used multiple people (Brenda and Corinne) as her island therapists and instead of showing her appreciation with loyalty, she had them blindsided. Being tricked intellectually is one thing -- but to be emotionally manipulated and deceived is what turned everyone against Dawn. It's like the difference between a farmer slaughtering livestock versus someone killing their own pet for food. The more of an emotional investment you make, the worst you come off.

I don't think there was really anyone this season that deserved to win more than Cochran. Although the challenge wins helped him, two out of three immunity wins were attributed to advantages her received beforehand. But the key is that he didn't need to win them -- Cochran was pretty much a lock for the finals by the time the merge rolled around, with a Three Amigos final three or a Brenda winning the last immunity challenge being the only permutation that would have ended up with him not making it to the end. Working his way into multiple final three scenarios is why he won. Staying "in the game" was very big as well.

According to Erik and Eddie, the reason they ragged on Sherri was because she would loudly proclaim about how great a player she was and how she was controlling the tribe. Both Erik and Eddie freely admit that didn't do a lot to get to where they got, but apparently, Sherri thought that she had manipulated the others into doing her bidding. Her self-proclaimed and deluded puppet master status is what annoyed Erik and Eddie so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks