What's new

Survivor: All Stars - 8/31 (1 Viewer)

GarySa

Auditioning
Still, $32.99 is pretty cheap for a season set, and it's the cheapest price out there.

I just wish we could get some news on the next release. I really hope it's Africa, although I guess it will be Pearl Islands. :thumbsdown:

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
At the Survivor Sucks board, Coby from Palau started posting (until CBS forced him to stop), and mentioned that it's a known fact around CBS that all seasons will be released on DVD; in fact, he mentioned that while they were in Palau, they shot things intended for a future DVD release.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I've given up on guessing the next release with all the Africa, Pearl Islands, and Vanuatu rumors, whatever it is just release it soon. :)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
So who's got their Outback sets? Just finished watching the first episode, which I have to say was pretty...bland. There just wasn't much going on, and Ogakor was barely featured.

I remember that the rest of the season (besides the finale) was excellent, but on the whole, the premiere wasn't really a good episode.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, Anthony. I got it this morning ($32.99 at cc)...but my family's gonna wait until Palau is over...and then dive in. Only half of us watched it when it aired...so it'll be new for the other half (although I'm pretty sure they know who won).

CynthiaH

Agent
Out of curiosity, are most people planning on buying all the seasons? With a regular tv show, I don't think I could buy season one, and then season three, without buying season two as well, even if I didn't like it as much. But since Survivor seasons are self-contained, I think I'd have to take a pass on Vanuatu probably, and Thailand. I remember those ones being relatively boring-I didn't really find much of the cast interesting.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to buy them all, even though I wasn't a big fan of the two seasons you mentioned. Not just because I'm a collector, but no season has been bad to me--even Thailand has some great moments (the "Bye Bye Denver Diva" vote, the episode 3 reward challenge).

GarySa

Auditioning
Even though I have all the seasons from Africa-Palau (so far) I will buy them all on DVD when they come out. I just can't get enough of Survivor and the official DVD releases with the highest picture quality, nice presentation, and special features beat VHS recordings any day of the week.

I picked up my Outback set for $32.99 at CC as well and I have watched the first 5 episodes. Overall, I have to agree that it was one of the worst premieres, but the season is just excellent. It makes me miss the old days of Survivor where the show was more about the people and the game was just sort of secondary. Now it's all about the game and I don't come away feeling like I know any of the people. It was so different in the earlier days.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I'm buying all the seasons too, the DVD sets are well done, and I always enjoy watching a season or two during the long summer and winter hiatus.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
That's odd. I've been hoping for a while that Amazon would be adding pages like that for each season, since it's a bigger platform than TVShowsonDVD.com.

GarySa

Auditioning
I e-mailed Amazon about that, and the reply I got indicated that they won't put up a page like that unless they receive information from the studio. So apparently Paramount is planning on released Palau on DVD next, although I'm still awaiting the actual announcement before I get too excited.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Well, this has been an excellent season so I don't mind it being released soon, but I really hope it's not the next one. (Although perhaps if it is, they can one-up the SAS set and include commentaries on every episode).

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Agreed, I'd rather see Africa next too, but they might do Palau next since they'll have everyone together for the finale in a couple of weeks.

GarySa

Auditioning

That's what they should've done with Vanuatu. Then we'd have Outback and Vanuatu by now. They really slack on this Survivor DVD stuff.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Any news on future releases (or more details on the hinted Pearl Islands release)?

I'm just hoping the fact that the show has been syndicated to OLN doesn't stop the DVD sets (or slow down the already snail's pace they're going at).

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
There's a debate going on about this at Sucks, and so I want to hear everyone's take on it here (particularly Gord and/or Dave's):

Do you think that the OLN syndicated episodes are going to stop the DVD sets?

I say no, and I think that the people who stop buying the DVD sets just to watch on OLN are going to be the exception rather than the rule.The DVD sets are convenient, relatively inexpensive, and seem to be selling pretty well, not to mention they include extras. Besides, The Amazing Race is currently on GSN, and the first season is being released in two months, and from that link I posted in the TAR topic, it seems that more are on the way. Since not everyone gets OLN (I don't--I don't get GSN either for that matter), I can't see any reason for them stopping the DVD releases.

According to the guy who runs dvdauthority.com Paramount is still planning to release every season of Survivor, and probably TAR too. I just want to know what everyone here thinks.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I've been following the debate too and I agree with your no for both Survivor and TAR. A lot of people don't get OLN or don't even know they have it, I also think the DVD and syndication audiences are different. Just speaking for myself, even before the DVD era, I rarely ever watched anything in syndication, even if was being shown in the correct order, which is a rarity too (obviously Survivor and TAR need be shown in order, at least within each season.)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Pearl Islands: this fall. After that, Amazon, then Palau.

Not set in stone, but I'm pretty sure of it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks