What's new

Survivor Africa (and Survivor Marquesas) (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
And if this ever gets released, please try to include a lot more footage on the challenges and less audition footage. The audition footage just took up too much space on the last two and really broke up the flow too much.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I honestly think the only way these will sell is if they contain gratuitous nudity. I can't think of any other reason to pick them up.

Lafe F

Second Unit
Paramount, when Survivor Marquesis comes to DVD, which it likely will - please make it a double case that contains a bonus Survivor Africa DVD inside. Thanks.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Lafe,

I think that there won't be any more Survivor DVDs, otherwise they would make one of Africa. The first 2 didn't sell very well.

I think most "reality" programming is basically throw-away, people watch it once and then the suspense is gone, and since there's no narrative, no real desire to watch it again.

Lafe F

Second Unit
Jeff, you could very well be correct. I'm not sure of the exact sales figures of the first two Survivor DVDs.

I'm not sure if the reason there was no Survivor Africa DVD was because of the sales of the first two - or the abysmal television viewer ratings Survivor Africa got.

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
or the abysmal television viewer ratings Survivor Africa got.
Abysmal? It usually landed in the top 5 and never out of the top 10. Although it didn't beat Friends like Survivor Australia did, I don't see how it could not be considered a success. Temptation Island 2--now those were abysmal ratings!

I for one would pick up the Survivor Africa DVD. It's not that I want to watch it all again, but the DVD gives a nice recap to go back to occasionally. But if the sales aren't there, I guess that's the bottom line. I hope they reconsider with Marquesas.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'd be interested in picking up a Marqueses edition of Survivor on DVD. The series is the best it's been since Palua Tiga. Australia was just alright, and Africa was less interesting still. Marqueses is as good as or better than the first. I'd be very happy to pick up a DVD of this season's highlights.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I think that if Paramount released each season in their entirety on three discs AND included relevant never before seen scenes, then people would buy (but perhaps not in huge numbers).

That said, there are MANY more Paramount TV properties I wish they'd work on before working on Survivor. Police Squad and Andy Richter Controls the Universe for instance.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
...if Paramount released each season in their entirety on three discs AND included relevant never before seen scenes, then people would buy...
I think because they did not do it this way that is the reason for low sales. I bought the first two but was very disappointed in the content. But it's the only game in town so I gave them my support hoping to see more.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I also think season sets would have sold much better, especially if they included extra footage from the show. The main problem with the first two DVD's is that the only extra footage was from the audition tapes of the contestants, which I really don't care about that much.

However, like Frank said, I still bought them to show support hoping to eventually see season sets.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Ok I just finished watching Survivor 4 reunion (with Rosie O'Donnell :thumbsdown: ) and she said all the survivors were going to get Survivor 1 through 4 DVD's! How can I get mine?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Frank, they were probably made for internal use only. You have to become buddies with someone at CBS involved with the show is my guess

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I was also thinking they are internal DVD's but that doesn't stop me from coveting them! It's really unfair to announce something like that's not available to the public. At least if you want the cars they won, you could go out and get them.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I looked at the recap Survivor discs but I didn't pick them up because there wasn't enough stuff I hadn't already seen. Now, if they included the CBS Early Show interviews on the discs I would grab them.

I think it's all about giving the consumer something they haven't seen.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks