What's new

Survivor 33 - Millennials vs. Gen X (1 Viewer)

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Surprised no 'Survivor' thread has been set up yet. Has the granddaddy of all modern day reality shows finally worn out its welcome?

After the first episode I have a good feeling about this season. Usually it takes 4-5 shows before I can identify all of the tribe members and zero in on some favorites and keep the alliances straight, especially with seasons like this one where there are no returning players. But the editors did a really nice job giving almost everyone a suitable introduction. The generational conflict seems a little cliched, and dicey, given how in the past 'Survivor' has tended to reinforce stereotypes rather than shatter them. But if they're going there I hope they stick with it and don't switch up tribes in a week, defeating the purpose of the whole experiment.

Strange tribal vote too - couldn't figure out why a couple of people got votes - but the right call was made on the first elimination. Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I still LOVE Survivor. Thanks for starting the thread.

I mostly agree that they got it right in who they voted off, given how the episode was edited, I thought that Dave would deserved more votes.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I still LOVE Survivor. Thanks for starting the thread.

I mostly agree that they got it right in who they voted off, given how the episode was edited, I thought that Dave would deserved more votes.

Kind of shocked it wasn't Dave. The guy is a completely worthless wimp. But with the editing, this show is heavily manipulated for fake drama. I'm about at burnout point, probably the last season I'll watch.

Depending on who gets dumped in the next few weeks, might even bail on this one.

I like Ken, the model, but he may prove to be to much of a threat and get booted. If he lays low, flies under the radar, he could pull it off. Early, but no other stand-outs at this time.

Early failure by the Gen-X group, but I think one of them will win. The millennials are typical, unmotivated, and expect everything to be easy. They got off lucky with the cyclone, and they'll probably expect more "rescues" like that in the future.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping the GenXers can make it interesting, but if they continue to go to tribal early on, they'll have to mix up the contestants sooner, rather than later.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Great episode last night. It's fascinating to me how when you have one group of attractive, popular people within a tribe, and a more dorky group, the beautiful people still manage to get their way even when they don't have the numbers. Just like in real life.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Great episode last night. It's fascinating to me how when you have one group of attractive, popular people within a tribe, and a more dorky group, the beautiful people still manage to get their way even when they don't have the numbers. Just like in real life.
I think it is because:
1, Everybody wants to be the "next" member of that group.
and
2. Everybody wants the "cool kids" to like them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I forgot this season even started. What, are we three episodes in now?

Maybe I'll just join in at this point.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I forgot this season even started. What, are we three episodes in now?

Maybe I'll just join in at this point.

Yep, tonight is episode three. Don't worry, you haven't missed anything. One member from each tribe gone, so an equal playing field, good time to join up. It's really pretty pathetic, same old stuff like usual. I'm going to see if I can finish this season, but it will be my last.

Only thing you've missed is the Gen-X player David. Possibly the biggest wuss ever to appear on the series. Actually describes himself as: OCD, nervous, and paranoid. But he found the first immunity idol. Other than that, basic Survivor, making fire, scheming, alliances, silly puzzle challenges, the usual.

Looking forward to the next "The Amazing Race", which is a so much better show. Can't find any dates for it, looks like it's still currently being filmed, but already renewed for another season, so it's here to stay..

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay. Will start watching tonight.

You may be back next season. It is an "all-star" returnee season.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Okay. Will start watching tonight.

You may be back next season. It is an "all-star" returnee season.

Great. Just as I'm about ready to bail, they suck me back in with an all-star season. Those are always fun. So they've got me for at least one more season <_<

Forgot to mention, but for the first time ever, all contestants were evacuated when a huge storm hit the island. Everything returned to normal the next day and the war began.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Come on in! I'm still liking it, although the "Pretty kids" are annoying me....
They are very annoying, fairly sure their time will come soon.

Thankfully, Paul left. These "Mr. I'm in Charge" guys really annoy me. He won't be missed.

CeCe may have been slow on the balance beam so they make it look like she's the obvious choice. But she's really a non-threat, and can be kept around for a while.

A gen-x, a millennial, now another gen-x. Just keep alternating until it's whittled down to the real players, then it gets interesting.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I watch this show like Jane Goodall watches chimpanzees (not judgmentally, but anthropologically). It's always a fascinating study in human primate behavior, tribal, individual, sociological or otherwise. And as a boomer, as much as I thought I wouldn't care about Gen X or Millennials going after each other, I have a Millennial son and it's fascinating to see how they approach and accomplish (or don't) tasks. It must have been a real eye-opener for the gamer girl who got booted the first week to see what non-virtual competition is like and how important direct social interaction becomes.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
As a side note: apparently TAR has completed filming but it's not been scheduled yet. We're filling in that void with The Apprentice UK, which is a far more entertaining version than the US product-placement heavy version (which we've not watched since S2).

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm not sure how smart of a move that was by David at Tribal Council last night, but it made for good tv. The look on Jessica's face when she realized she wasn't being lied to was classic, and Lucy's face when she realized she might be going home was almost as good.

I think it's safe to say Jessica will have his and Ken's back for the rest of the game. All CeCe has to do is ride along.

With a mixup coming next week I hope David's sacrifice wasn't in vain and he gets separated from his alliance.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure how smart of a move that was by David at Tribal Council last night, but it made for good tv. The look on Jessica's face when she realized she wasn't being lied to was classic, and Lucy's face when she realized she might be going home was almost as good.

I think it's safe to say Jessica will have his and Ken's back for the rest of the game. All CeCe has to do is ride along.

With a mixup coming next week I hope David's sacrifice wasn't in vain and he gets separated from his alliance.

Haven't watched it yet, still finishing up "Aftermath". But read a few summaries, looks like a fun episode.

I'm starting to think CeCe could win this, just quietly stay out of trouble and let the others vote themselves off. David was a fool and pretty sure he's going home soon.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I thought David would be gone the first week he was so useless. But then he comes through in the reward challenge and delivers a great blindside that will actually earn him allies. There was a reason they covered him early. He just might stick around a while.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I don't know if anyone is still watching but figured I'd give the thread a bump. It's been a pretty good season though they've voted out my favorite contestant for both her commentary and awesomeness in challenges (Michaela) plus all the eye candy. The shifting alliances and blindsides have been good as well as the challenges. It's worth watching if you have a few on dvr.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I have enjoyed the season but really wish they would have carried the Gen X vs Millennials thing a lot further. I was highly disappointed when they mixed it up so soon.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if anyone is still watching but figured I'd give the thread a bump. It's been a pretty good season though they've voted out my favorite contestant for both her commentary and awesomeness in challenges (Michaela) plus all the eye candy. The shifting alliances and blindsides have been good as well as the challenges. It's worth watching if you have a few on dvr.

I thought it was hilarious when they booted Michaela, wow she was pissed, she just assumed she'd be the winner and "how dare you vote me off". Wrong attitude.

But she was to strong, they had to get rid of her. You need to fly more "under the radar", and not be so obvious to win this show. Had she kept her mouth shut and not been so bossy, she might still be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks