What's new

SURVIVOR 3 - comments (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
1st episode was good. That Clarence is as stupid as they come. A big, dumb brick. Why give that lady food when you know she's the one that goes that night? Was he that hungry? The man's days are numbered.
And how dumb can they be, dumping out that water?!
eek.gif
Didn't they watch the last Survivor? Didn't they read about Africa at all? Good God.
I wish I could be watching this High Definition, that's for sure. The cable feed was particularly bad tonight (Cablevision in CT) with some obvious edge enhancement and artificial sharpening.
icon13.gif

I'll keep watching and hope that this one is as much fun as the last one.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Very good first episode I thought. They were a total bunch of idiots though, and I found few of them likable. Maybe the other tribe will be better, they are certainly not as stupid as the one that got all the air time tonight (Boran?)
I thought Clarence was more naive than stupid. I tend to believe him more than Diane on balance, she only denied asking for the beans after everyone was piling on C.B. In a way its a pity she's gone because she may have turned out to be as evil as Jerri.
This show is a total "guilty pleasure" for me :)
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars
[Edited last by CharlesD on October 11, 2001 at 09:57 PM]

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
It was good strategy on Diane's part to deny it as she was obviously the likely target for being voted out. If she could swing enough suspicion onto Clarence, then she had a decent shot of staying. Most of the tribe was smart enough to realize that getting rid of him now would not be in their best interest as a team. But he should have known better.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Diane was probably trying to get the focus from her (since she made them lose the challenge) to someone else, and it was easiest to get it on Clarence.
The show was good and it looks to be getting better. Only problem is that the opening of the show doesn't have the same impact as the first two shows. I guess its because the cuts aren't the same and the music is different. The opening for the first season is still the best.
Great first episode. Can't wait for the next.
Did anyone else notice that its back to 39 days?

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Good start indeed. I suspect that things are going to get nasty quickly in Boran (I think it's Boran that has Clarence in it). They definitely seem like a vocal bunch. I thought that it was pretty obvious that Diane was seeing which way the wind was blowing before she let it be known that SHE didn't ask for the beans. She didn't hide her scheming very well.
Somewhat off topic...
Where do you think they'll locate Survivor 4 given the current state of international affairs?
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

David_LM

Stunt Coordinator
I thought "Goat Man" (Tom) piled on Clarence a little too much. How did Clarence keep from decking him? Things should get interesting between these two.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I was glad the tribe did the smart thing and didn't vote off Clarence. He may be a bonehead, but he can help them win immunity.
------------------
Jake
http://www.jawsmovie.com My JAWS Fansite
Link Removed My Arcade PC
Link Removed My Home Theater Pics

JeffDemum

Stunt Coordinator
I was really surprised how C.B. was taking it when Tom was jumping all over him . I mean Clarence didn't get mouthy just stayed calm and told his side of the story Hillbilly Jim was pretty steamed , but i would be too . Was it just me or did anyone else notice the grin on Dianes face after she said it was Clarences idea to open the beans .

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I saw her slight smile as well. That was one of the things that I was refering to when I said she didn't hide her scheming very well.
Buh-bye Di!
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Joel C

Screenwriter
DOH! I had programmed the VCR to tape the show at the usual time, and Bush's address cut all of it but 10 minutes. 10 MINUTES! And this is one of my favorite shows.
ARGH! And since every station was covering it, I also missed Will and Grace, Just Shoot Me, and ER. I picked the wrong day to go to the Chicago International Film Festival to end up having Amelie sell out.
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Doug R

Supporting Actor
According to a report or article I read, that challenge took like an hour and a half. I imagine they were extremely tired and figured as long as they stayed close, they could overtake them at the end.
------------------

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Survivor continues to be the best edited of the reality game shows. I also enjoyed S3's opening show last night.
Samburu tribe:
I find myself atttracted to Kim Powers, plus she's the one that figured out using the telescope lens as a magnifying glass to get the fire started on the 2nd day. I will root for Kim.
I'm already rooting against Brandon's constant whining, but he seems to already be "one of the girls" already.
Teresa, the mom from GA (wearing the Braves cap) might be trying a "Tina" but in these early days, you just don't know yet how allied some people get.
Linda seems "wise" but she's got to be able to get through the physical trials for these next 5 challenges.
Not really crazy about Lindsay from my initial impressions.
Carl, the dentist doesn't do anything for me either way.
Frank left a bad taste in his tribes mouth from their journey to their camp site. If he's not valuable in the challenges, he may not make it to the combined tribes either.
Silas seems to be the early prominent duplicitous player judging by the clips for next week's show.
Boran tribe:
Jessie is a little rough around the edges. Her eyebrows scare me/bother me.
I don't think the older Kim Johnson can pull off a "Tina".
The psych chick, Kelly, might be someone to watch as far as playing mind games, and flying under the radar.
Ethan seems cool, and isn't afraid to speak his mind on the issue of 'fairness' when it comes to food and water, and his athleticism will help him stay in the group until the tribes combine.
Lex also seems to be like Ethan, but more articulate, maybe too articulate (flying way over the radar).
Clarence will hopefully be either sneakier in sneaking food into his mouth, or learn from his mistake, but at the first sign of someone taking a larger share of the food, and Clarance will get the boot, but it might not happen until the combined tribes portion of the game due to his perceived physical strength that Boran needs.
Tom is coming on a little too strong, especially in his condemnation of Clarence. Sure, he said what everyone was thinking, but in this game you can't always say what you want to say without it boomeranging on you later. Plus, it's pretty evident that he was the other vote against Clarence, and won't be looked on as a strategic team player.
Diane was the weakest link, so she got the boot, plus being the map person, and not keeping the right pace pissed off her tribemates.
I have to wonder why some of these people "play so stupidly" from the outset (Frank, Clarence, and Diane).
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; DIY Mains ; DIY CC ; Sunosub I + II + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed
[Edited last by Patrick Sun on October 12, 2001 at 12:38 PM]

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That immunity challenge was grueling! I had to wonder how many of them had scraped up hands and bumps and bruise from all that tumbling by Lex and Ethan, and Kim and the other person on the Samburu tribe. It looked like it would be very easy to pull a muscle and get bounced from the game early on.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Class A entertainment, really. I enjoyed the first episode of Survivor III more than any of the episodes of Australian Outback that I can recall.
The best part is, even as Survivor is king of reality programming, it still keeps those hilariously tacky little bits that I like to call Survivor Moments. Like the poor African kids chasing after the Survivormobile, or that great shot of the tribe trying to build fire at night, and they worry about animals, and it cuts to a lion shot through the night vision lens which you know is nowhere near their camp, and then back to them :).
It's that kind of additional camp with the nature of people backstabbing each other that I love about Survivor. The new people seem much older than usual, on average, but a good crew. Was really great the way they caught Clarence on camera eating that second cherry, funny :).
Loved the rewards challenge, loved it. I mean, every Survivor has to open up with a reward challenge for fire, and this was a cool way to do it. You could tell by the end that those teams were about to just die of exhaustion anyway.
Then they voted the hair off the savannah, and possibly the person who was wearing it as well :P.
Jeff Probst Quote of the Show: (paraphrased)
"I suggest you use the long walk home to do some mending, to rebuild your tribe."
------------------
Mark Evans
Low Rent Movie Critic, Low Rent Home Theater Owner, Low Rent Everything

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
When it comes to Tom and Clarence, Tom really really struck me as being a bit stereotypically Southern in how he dealt with Clarance. See how I try to tip-toe around a delicate subject.
And I gotta say, Boran is fuxored. If they don't have the brains to take a basic inventory of what they have, and what they can do with it, the way Samburu started to, they're not going to have the brains to do much else.
And one thing that I wonder about, always wonder about the Survivor challenges, is why they all assume there are rules other than whats stated? Last night, when 'one person' had to run up the mountain to light a fire, the rest of the team should have taken the cart and KEPT GOING! Or sent one person to run to the mountain right away.
Similarly, one thing that always bugged me about the 'find the five amulets in the maze' challenge from S:AB was that the burlap walls were a good foot or two off the ground; none of them ever got the idea to crawl under? It was never forbidden....

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The way the show is edited, the audience isn't aware of all the rules that the contestants are aware of, so I don't think it's fair to criticize them for not doing something that wasn't shown to be expressly prohibited because they don't have the air-time to show us the discussion of the rules. Plus, they condensed a 1.5 hour race into 5 minutes, there is no telling what the audience did not see in that competition.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
Did anyone else have troble understanding what Tom was saying? I live in the South, and his accent was too much for me. I felt like I was listening to Boomhauer (sp?) from King of The Hill.
-Andy
------------------

=========
Andy Roth
My DVD List
=========

Alex S

Second Unit
Good show!
It was smart to keep Clarence around, he's big and strong.
Diane was a waste and a liar.
They need all the help they can get now.
Plus it's not too hard to keep track of food and to make sure everyone is getting an equal amount. Just don't lave him or anyone else alone with all the food.
They could always get rid of him down the road.
None of the women stood out to me as interesting, maybe because it's only the first show. I seem to remember Jenna, Colleen and Elizabeth really sticking out in the first show.
wink.gif

Frank better tone it down a bit or he will be out fast.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
When it comes to Tom and Clarence, Tom really really struck me as being a bit stereotypically Southern in how he dealt with Clarance.
I will not touch on "stereotypically southern", but I was thinking of the more conventional "dumb". Am I the only one that suspected that he wrote "C.B." on the card because he was not a "strong speller". :)
By the way, southerners should not feel bad. After the string of intelligent southerners on Survivor 2 (Tina, Colby, Rodger, Jeff), odds were that at least one moron would creep in. I'm from Michigan, and our Survivor representatives have been Mr. Falls in the Fire (Mike), Mr. Chef who Can't Make Rice and is Hated by All (Keith), and Mr. Sneaks Food from His Tribe (Clarence), so wherever you are from, it could be worse! :)
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks