Surviving Christmas on December 21st

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Beau, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

Just read at digital bits that this movie will come out on Dec. 21st. Just under two months since it's opening, is this the QUICKEST a movie has ever come out on DVD? I actually saw it and thought it was pretty funny, guess I'm the only one though. Poor Benny.[​IMG] Though I did get a little chuckle when I first read the street date on the bits.

2. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

This one left my local theaters in two weeks, and crap tends to stay around here longer than nescessary. [​IMG]

3. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

Well, they opened a CHRISTMAS movie on HALLOWEEN. What did they expect? [​IMG]

4. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

The disc arrives with both 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen transfers, and Dolby Digital 5.1.

Extras include an alternate opening, the HBO First Look featurette, a storyboard gallery and trailers.

SRP $29.99 (that's an expensive lump of coal)

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    For those that have seen it...
    Was this film any good?

6. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Awww...come on. You're pulling our legs... [​IMG]

Look at the box office take, the reviews AND the fact that it may very well be the fastest theater-DVD trek in history.

Do the math.

7. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

To be honest, the film was actually pretty funny. Much funnier than JERSEY GIRL and GIGLI. More laughs than say TEAM AMERICA and a few other recent films. Affleck wasn't that bad and Gandolfini, Catherine O'Hara and Christina Applegate were a lot of fun.

It won't make my top ten or anything. But, it was probably Affleck's best in a couple years.

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    This looks like another experiment ala "Noel"... only this time, it's being released on an actual DVD instead of a Destructo-Video-Disc.

Plus, they don't have to wait a year like they did with "Elf" to hit the holiday season with a holiday movie, or six months (traditional window) to release a holiday movie when it feels like Spring...

- Steve

9. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

It almost seems as if the movie was purposely made badly so that the DVD release could be in time for Christmas. [​IMG]

10. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

"Much funnier than JERSEY GIRL and GIGLI."

High praise indeed, Jon. :b

11. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    Ron asked:Yes. My wife and I enjoyed it. The most notable memories were a few "dysfunctional" family moments/scenes that made my wife laugh out loud and that seemed to infect others in the audience who enjoyed the humor.[​IMG]

IMO, it had the "dysfunctional" family humor, that some people may or may not be able to relate to[​IMG], similar to the movie "Home For The Holidays", starring Holly Hunter, Robert Downey,Jr. and Anne Bancroft, that received "Two Thumbs Up!" [​IMG][​IMG] from "Siskel & Ebert", but "Surviving Christmas" is a faster paced movie and made us feel good, as we walked out of the theater[​IMG].

Paul

12. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    So was my last colonoscopy...

13. MattGentry

MattGentry Second Unit

Yes, it truly was far better than most comedies have been lately.

I laughed a fair amount, which is more than I can say about another recent "comedy"... Team America. Better than that...

14. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

From Justin to Kelly: screen debut 6/20/03 - DVD debut 8/26/03.

Surviving Christmas will just barely beat out Justin, but it's not a fair comparison: they clearly will rush out Surviving to try to squeeze some last-minute holiday sales. There was no date-related reason for Justin to zip to DVD so quickly.

Hey, at least Surviving made two and a half times as much at the box office than Justin!

15. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Box office grosses have nothing to do with the quality of a film, a lot of excellent films bomb at the box office. Is this the quickest to DVD release ever?

Ryan

16. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Wow that was quick!

As if the one thing on everyone's mind only a few days before the holiday is gonna be... Oh yeah I gotta go get that Surviving Christmas movie!

[​IMG]

And since we're tallying opinions on the flick...I freaking hated it. Nary a laugh to be found, and when the thing turns from mean-spirited pratfalls into pseudo-sincere sentimentalism... ugh. I don't blame Affleck for this one; I blame Elfont/Kaplan and any studio's willingness to start production when there's (literally) no script.

17. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Some comedian(can't remember who it was) had a great line when this flick came out a few weeks ago.......he said if Hans Blix is still looking for bombs, he doesn't need to look any further than the latest Ben Affleck flick. [​IMG]

Seriously, though, has he made a decent movie in the last few, well.......EVER?

18. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ok, where are the moviepoopshoot.com "it's crap" review pages. (god, I wish I had the link to that page.. does anyone remember what I'm talking about? Pictures of theater posters with all the reviews of how terrible the films were?)

This movie was -TERRIBLE-.. I saw it in a free screening and thought it was so bad I couldn't justify writing a review for the HTF because I didn't want it to get any pub.

It is somewhat reminiscent of a MadTV sketch regarding Christmas, except it's much longer and considerably less funny.

(man, what is with dragging up and bashing _Team America_ in this thread.. a film which I at least found a lot more daring and funny then this slow paced, terribly acted, MST3k bait)

19. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

A couple things to consider about this film, it was made over a year ago and was supposed to be released last Holiday season, but contractually, they couldn't go up against Affleck's PAYCHECK. So, they had to hold it for a year.

The DVDs have probably been done before it was released to theatres. So, it isn't quite like FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY, rushed to theatres, rushed to video.

And as for the reviews, Affleck is one of the most critically maligned actors out there. Everything he does critics love to attack. A lot of the people who attacked this film probably never even saw it. So, of course this was going to be reviewed badly. But, if you don't hate Affleck, it isn't that bad of a film.

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I like Affleck just fine. Honest. I find myself defending him time and time again. Anyone who's tempted to dismiss Ben Affleck as a no-talent should give another look to Changing Lanes, Boiler Room, Good Will Hunting or Chasing Amy. Hell, the guy's freaking hilarious in Dazed and Confused. It just seems that Ben's been choosing some really weak projects over the past few years.

You watch: someone will give him a great dramatic role soon and "all the critics" will be spouting phrases like 'welcome comeback' and 'best work of his career'.

But that doesn't change my opinion that SC is a witless and atrociously constructed movie.