Survival of 3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stefan A, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I was thinking about all the speculation of 3 consoles surviving. My feeling is that one of the ways for all 3 to survive is to bring in people who were not previously into gaming. I haven't had a gaming system since the original nintendo - and it was really my brother's. One of the reasons I bought an x-box is because of the technology. I am really intrigued by the idea of 5.1 real time. Of course I just like sitting around playing games too. So anyway, I was wondering who out there has bought one of the new systems who generally has not been into gaming before (or a long time)?

2. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

Not me, I have been in gaming forever, but I brought my XBOX to work with me on last Friday....

Needless to say, my boss bought one for his kids that night, and another guy that works with me that said he hasn't gotten a gaming system since the snes bought both the XBOX and the Gamecube.

Very interesting what a little fun can do. Oh, and playing networked XBOX's via a vpn is awesome!

Did I say I was in the Information Systems industry?

3. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Uh hello? The PS2 can do real time DTS. Pick up NHL 2002. It's awesome. I expect to see this in future EA Sports titles.

4. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Stefan, you've got nothing to apologize for. Thanks for being the adult in your response to a petty, childish post. Believe me, you are not the only one who is dismayed at the constant bickering that seems to have infiltrated this place.
    To your point, though, I think you are absolutely right that if the market expands to include people who wouldn't normally have been console gamers (either people brand new to gaming, or converted PC gamers), then it just might bear three competing consoles. From my own experience, I've had to put up with the good-natured ridicule of a hard-core PC game fanatic for over a year now as I've extolled the virtues of the Xbox to him. Well, he finally came over on Saturday to check on the Xbox (and Halo) for himself, and he left dutifully impressed. Just this morning he started emailing me questions about upcoming games, prices, and what the best places to buy would be.
    Believe me, if you knew this guy, you would appreciate this conversion for the miracle that it is! [​IMG] And I'm not saying just the Xbox will do this, either. The Gamecube also has some great looking games that always draw a crowd when they are shown in kiosks. I think between the two systems and the continuing draw of Sony's product, we are going to have more people playing console games than ever before. The hard part is shaking the firmly-held belief that video games are for kids, but as more and more people are exposed to the beauty of Halo or Rogue Leader, I think they will get sucked in!
    At least I hope so, because as big of an Xbox supporter as I am, I have no illusions that if one console gets squeezed out, it will be either of the two established heavyweights...

6. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

There is an untapped market out there. It's the RPG market, which SNES owned in the early 90's. I remember being on a list for notification when any RPG game came in for the system. The guy who owned the store had a long list of names, mostly middle aged to older adults who had become fans of first person RPG games. The main reason I got out of the hobby a few years ago because the "next-gen" systems were going to more action and eye candy styles of games. Then Playstation out with a few good RPGs, but not with the frequency or quality of the old SNES First person 2-D RPGs that I'd enjoyed playing in previous years. Game Cube does not appear to have the titles to court this older RPG'er market, nor at least for the moment does the system I own, the XBOX.

After doing some research it appears I may indeed buy a PS2 next year. What with Drakan II, Jade Cocoon 2, Forever Kingdom and Final Fantasy 10 becoming available, my old RPG playing passion just may get the better of me; and I'll plunk down another $300 for another game system.

7. Scott FP

Scott FP Agent

Getting back to the new gamers question.....

My last gaming console was the Intellivision. That console started hot and heavy into sports and that what attracted me back then.

Turned to the PC to get into sport sims. Seemed the PC was more accurate for that and I was never really a arcade sports fantatic.

Liked the graphics of the PS2 but they were hard to get a hold of and my interest waned when Xbox was announced.

I have two kids, I just started getting into the DVD/Surround home theatre thing so the fact that the Xbox played on Digital 5.1 sound appealed to me. Plus the fact that I actually found one to order online!

Got the Xbox hidden in my basement, stashed for Xmas (no pun intended) and it is killing me! Once I get the HD pack (backordered) I will try it to make sure everything works.

I think the Xbox bridges the gap of great graphics and realism, now that they have a hard drive to keep stats of players. It is kind of the perfect bridge between the PC and console.

8. James D S

James D S Screenwriter