What's new

Survival Horror Games - Please help a newbie! (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
My first foray into the survival horror genre was Resident Evil on the Game Cube. I absolutely love it! Could all you knowledgeable survival-horror veterans give me a brief run down on the essential titles and which platforms they're on.
I want to stick to PC and the GC, but with the ever downward price spiral of the Xbox, if it is essential to truly experience the genre at its best, I may be persuaded to dip into Microsoft's pot (unrelated note - especially if theres a Banjo-Kazooie game for the Xbox).
Thanks in advance.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Be glad to lend a helping hand Paul.:D
You already have one essential title in your hands. The Resident Evil remake is a fantastic game and worth owning.
Next on the list and IMHO far more creepy and frightening than any Resident Evil title (or other Suvival horror games period) is the original Silent Hill (PSX) and its sequel Silent Hill 2 (PS2, Xbox and soon to be released on the PC). The PC version of Silent Hill 2 will feature the extra Born from a Wish scenario from the Xbox version as well. Silent Hill 1 & 2 are required playing for any survival horror fan IMO. Also keep a look out on the next entry in the series Silent Hill 3 (PS2 only so far). I have a thread up with a wallpaper and sound clip from the game right now.
In the Resident Evil vien I would highly recommend Resident Evil Code Veronica (Dreamcast, PS2 and soon to be released on the GC). Though not so much horror as action/adventure, its one of my favorite RE titles. If you want to catch up you will want to also pick up Resident Evil 2 and 3 when the are released on the GC as bargain titles (you can also pick these up on the DC and the original PSX). Look out for Resident Evil 0 this November as well! An all new entry with the RE Remake level graphics and new characters!
For more alternate entries into the Survival horror genre you may want to look at Fatal Frame (PS2 and soon to be released on the Xbox with added features). A very creepy game that requires you to photograph ghosts instead of shoot them. It takes some adjustment but the atmosphere is great and the game is creepy!.
Also as a GC owner you will want to try Eternal Darkness. The insanity effects are well..insane:). I found the game fun with a good ample amount of creepy. You will want to play through 3 times to get the full ending though.
Some older titles that I found to be entertaining are Koudelka (PSX). It has its problem but the game is very intersting. More RPG oriented is Shadow Hearts. Again for the PSX is Parasite Eve and its sequel Parasite Eve 2. Both are good games though a bit more action oriented.
For the PC you can take a look at Alone in the Dark 4 (also available on the DC). Not the best entry in the series but you can find it in the bargain bins for 13 bucks think its worth that.
Finally for a more recent PC title you will want to take a look at The Thing. Very good game that you will enjoy even more if your a fan of the movie. Also available for the PS2 and Xbox.
I hope that helps and Ill update if I can think of more.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Romier. I'll wait for Silent Hill 2 on the PC, and pick up Eternal Darkness for the GC when it comes out here in November.
Also, I'm bitterly disappointed, but I'm gonna have to wait till mid-February for Resident Evil 0. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks