Survey: Surrounds....What do you use?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jeff-0, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Jeff-0

Jeff-0 Stunt Coordinator

Let me explain why I am asking this.

I am going to be purchasing some new surrounds for my 5.1 setup this week.

My system is as follows:
    HK230
    Axiom M60 fronts
    Infinity PS-12 Sub (Not my 1st choice but I got it for $165.00)
    Infinity Center
    Sony Surrounds (they are junk, this is why the upgrade)

My initial response was to purchase the Axiom M22ti's for my surrounds but then I called Axiom tech, they suggested their QS8's which are a purpose built surround.

I can’t help but think most use a standard speaker such as a bookshelf design for their surrounds. This brings me to the survey.

The QS8 is what they call a quad-polar design with 2 woofers and 2 tweeters all firing in different directions all at once. This is to mimic a theater setup. I understand the principal behind it, they don’t wish for it to directly fire at the listeners position but rather to fill the area with sound.

The M22ti on the other hand is a 3-way bookshelf speaker but..........I would fire it into the room from the rear corners at a diagonal angle.

In essence wouldn’t this achieve the same purpose and fill the area with sound since it is not directly firing at the listener?

Well now it’s up to you.....If you could please post what you use for surrounds and your ideas I would surely appreciate it.

Thanks......

2. DavidAMennie

DavidAMennie Stunt Coordinator

I use Athena AS-F2's front and rear.

3. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

The arguement for bi-polar, di-polar, monopole has been going on for quite a while and really is an individual thing.

There is an interesting read by Tomlinson Holman (THX) called 'Dipolar Confusion' available at the Paradigm Website (388k):

http://www.paradigm.ca/Support/TechF...rConfusion.pdf

In my case I went with di-poles (or Paradigm's version adaptive di-poles), however, as I find I am now listening to more Multichannel Audio (DVD-A) there is more reason for me to have direct radiators for the rear channels, as the source material is mixed to be direct, rather than dispersed surrounds for movies.

4. Chris_Liberti

Chris_Liberti Stunt Coordinator

I Use M&K SS-150 which is a tri pole speaker that can be configured to be either tripole, direct radiating, dipole, or bipole. Right now I have them setup for dipole which seems to make the most difuse sound field

5. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

mirage om-r2 (bipolar)

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

7. Jeff-0

Jeff-0 Stunt Coordinator

Well I made up my mind and purchased the Axiom M22ti's.

now i just need to upgrade my center channel, i hate the tunnel sound this infinity has.

i should probably go with the axiom VP150 center channel speaker to round out the system with all axiom but im open to suggestions for a good center speaker in the 400.00 range...... thanks