What's new

Survey on Ultra HD Bluray Owners (1 Viewer)

I will buy a 4k Bluray player or own one already

• Total voters

MatM

Grip
Real Name
Matthew Mayer
Please answer my poll as I want to get a rough idea of what percentage of people will use these discs instead of downloading or streaming. Thanks.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Already on board. All new movie purchases will be bought on UHD when available. Bypassing new movies that don't have UHD releases. Still buying catalog on blu.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Please answer my poll as I want to get a rough idea of what percentage of people will use these discs instead of downloading or streaming. Thanks.

I answered "no" to the poll question, but your question above implies that the choice is between 4K discs and 4K downloading/streaming. I don't think I'll do either; if my plasma ever dies, the replacement will be a 4K display, because that's the standard now. But, I have no plans at this time to view any 4K content.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've bought a few discs to try out HDR. Trouble is, most of the films, as is usual with the intro of new video tech, were under performers or plain dogs that the studios are trying to recoup money on. They know that early adopters are at their mercy for content to watch or try out and take full advantage of it with overpriced stinkers.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My answer is....eventually.

The problem is projector prices. They are insane. I don't want a 4k display, I want a projector.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do not have a 4K display, and will only acquire one when my current set dies. At the distance we sit (12 feet from a 67-inch display), I doubt we would notice much difference compared with a BD anyway. Also, my receiver does not support Dolby Atmos, and I have no plans on replacing it. I have yet to see a UHD title that I have any desire to purchase, and I really do not want to upgrade my film collection to yet another format. So, I'm planning on sitting out this format change for the foreseeable future.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the same boat Ron is in.
I own a great 4K display, and player(Panasonic) but I'm torn. Although the added clarity is very nice(stunning from time to time) along with HDR, I miss watching my movies on my 85" screen with my DLP projector. As far as I'm concerned UHD doesn't do much for me untill I upgrade to a dedicated 4K DLP.
All because I became spoiled with the cinematic feel of projection. It is hard to go back to TV movie watching. Even if it looks much better.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm not actively looking to upgrade, but if my main TV were to die, I would just grab the best bang for buck 4K set since they are getting closer to the norm and about same cost as a non-4K anyway. I have no plan to get a 4k player as I will be streaming more and more, I don't want to waste more $$$ and space on discs that won't be touched but maybe once.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I will probably pull the trigger on a new 4K projector when there is a good one for less than 3,000.

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
If you are looking for a reasonably priced 4K projector, check out the Epson Pro Cinema 6040UB priced at $4000. This projector includes an extra bulb, ceiling mount and an extended warranty.

As an alternative, Epson offers the Epson Home Projector 5040UB priced at $3000. The hardware is identical, but no ceiling mount, extra bulb or extended warranty. This is a "consumer" model compared to the pro version.

To get the price that low, Epson offers a simulated 4K projector--not true 4K, but the images are very close to a true 4K projector at half the cost. I own the 6040 and am very impressed with the image. Check out the reviews online.

You don't have to spend close to $10,000 to get a great 4K-like image.:)

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I would have considered it if I needed a projector at this time, but my Epson 5030 looks great to these eyes. I'll wait until is more of a leap to true 4K and some HDR to boot.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
When my plasma dies, I'll go 4k OLED for display. No interest in 4K disks as my main interest is older catalog titles, and I'm not replacing my 700+ BD's with UHD disks even if all were available in UHD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks