What's new

SURVEY: Do you notice a big difference in $10K+ speakers vs. more affordable ones? (1 Viewer)

Arnel Enero

Stunt Coordinator
When you listen to demos of such ultra-expensive speakers, does it convince you that it's gotta be much more expensive than sub-$10K speakers?

If so, what is the first thing about them that "grabs" you?

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Define "more affordable". I think once you hit $5000/pr. the gains become smaller, and smaller, but no less important.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree, when you go above a certain price point, the cost becomes exponential to the increase in performance - as price goes way up, the improvements are very subtle. Can I hear the difference? Yes. Would I spend that much to hear that difference in my home? Not at this time.

Usually what grabs me, and what I feel makes one speaker better than another are: imaging, soundstage depth, clarity of midrange and how smooth the tweeter is. You really have to know what you are listening for to appreciate the small differences, and I think it takes a lot of listening, to a lot of different speakers, to LEARN to hear it. I've spent countless hours auditioning speakers, and I know what I like and don't like, so it is also a personal preference.

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
You really have to know what you are listening for to appreciate the small differences, and I think it takes a lot of listening, to a lot of different speakers, to LEARN to hear it. I've spent countless hours auditioning speakers, and I know what I like and don't like, so it is also a personal preference.
Exactly. I see it kind of like drinking fine wine. Nobody jumps right into this hobby and knows everything, you gotta learn it over time to truly appreciate the small differences. I myself hope my ears do not become THAT discerning -- I don't want to spend that much time and money into this hobby, buy hey, if I really get into this than whatever I spend will be worth it IMHO.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
And like drinking wine, blind test where you don't know what your drinking will sometimes reveal that you enjoyed the 20 dollar bottle a lot more over the 100 dollar bottle.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And like drinking wine, blind test where you don't know what your drinking will sometimes reveal that you enjoyed the 20 dollar bottle a lot more over the 100 dollar bottle.
:D That's the truth. Some of the wine I enjoy is expensive, but what I like to drink on a day to day basis is not that expensive. With a little tasting, it's not hard to find wines in the $20-$30 range that are quite good. :emoji_thumbsup:

jehremy

Grip
I agree, when you go above a certain price point, the cost becomes exponential to the increase in performance - as price goes way up, the improvements are very subtle.
The problem is that a more expensive a speaker does not necessarily have better performance.

Luke M

Grip
Expensive speakers are almost always large, with lots of drivers, capable of high SPLs and deep bass.

Bigger is not neccessarily better, however. Depends on the room and what you want out of the speaker.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I believe that high end speakers do sound better in general although there are occassional exceptions.
The more money you spend, the better design you get and better quality parts, so better sound is highly likely.
There are some very good budget audiophile speakers out there, however.
:)

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
Sound quality is not related to price. More money will however buy you louder undistorted sound, better bass extension, and of course a much nicer looking piece of furniture. But it won't buy better sound.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Wilson Watt puppies are around 20K. They do sound better than my Martin Logan ReQuests but not 15K better. And they are much smaller(wilson's). For what its worth.

If I was a rich person, I would spend more on speakers but not much more. I do wish I was buying my speakers now. I would spend 1500 more to get the Odysseys.

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
There are speakers costing $US600 that perform as good as speakers costing $US5000+. Alas, these are more often than not, Aussie made speakers ;) If it's possible for that to occur as it has in my experience, than it is certainly possible that price isn't necessarily an indicator of performance.
Cheers,
Mal

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
The thing that I notice in super expensive speakers (B&W Nautilus is what the local high end shop carries) is that they have more of a resonance than cheaper speakers. High end audio (And by high end I mean spending over $5000 for a pair of speakers) is a waste of money, anyone that can afford that should be spending his money on a car, and if you can't afford it and are saving up, you don't need the high end speakers.

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Larry, are you trolling or do you believe what you said?

John, agree totally. I'd further add that in order to realize those sometimes subtle gains it seems that system matching and attention to the room become much more critical. Just a quick wander around CES will prove that just plopping down an expensive set of speakers doesn't guarantee good sound.

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Studio 100's that I paid $1700 for. I considered trading them in for a $4000 pair of JM Lab Electra 926 speakers. I auditioned them in the same room with a pair of 100's and yes, they were better speakers. They were more open and had more precise detail in the music. HOWEVER, the sound of the 100's with the same music was so close..there was no way I could justify spending ANOTHER $2300 just for a bit more 'detail' in the music. Since doing this, I truly appreciate what I own now instead of constantly thinking it can be better by leaps and bounds.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Well, the most expensive speakers I've ever had the pleasure of auditioning was the MBL flagships. I wasn't impressed with them considering their price though. Don't be mistaken, they sounded wonderful, but I not worth their price. The next step down I heard were a pair of Wilson Benesch floorstanders(Actor or Act One, can't remember) and I felt these were really really good - enormous soundstage, clear, accurate imaging, refined sound) but costs almost US$10000. Then there are the Dynaudio Contours that amazed me with their amazing clarity and high frequency response.

Ultimately, I ended up with a pair of PSB Stratus Goldi

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Sihan, I agree with you. There is definately such a thing as diminishing returns after you cross the $2k/pr threshold. I've listened to a lot of speakers but none that I can cost-justify on my income.

I have a home theater system with Silveri's, Mini's, c5i, and soon a Subsonic 7. I think it'll be a while before I need anything more.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Michael,
I've also got Stratus Silveri's, C6i' center, Image 10S surround's and an SVS 20-39PC.. Great speakers for the money, aren't they? I love'em.. :emoji_thumbsup: If i move to a 7.1 rig, ill add a pair of Stratus Mini's for sure. I've also reached the point of diminishing returns.. i'm perfectly happy with my speakers and will be for a long time.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Sihan, I agree with you. There is definately such a thing as diminishing returns after you cross the $2k/pr threshold. I've listened to a lot of speakers but none that I can cost-justify on my income.
Michael,

While I understand your position, this is a dangerously low number to throw around. Most high end $5,000 speakers blow the doors off of most high end $2,000 speakers, with very few exceptions. And the difference is usually significant. The same effect happens at $10K

Perhaps after $15K or $20K, the law of diminishing returns sets in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks