What's new

SURVEY: Are you willing to sacrifice A LITTLE sound quality for MUCH BETTER looks? (1 Viewer)

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I go for the balance. If it is a choice strictly between looks and sound and there is the WAF, I go for the WAF. Later on you can upgrade. :D Little difference in sound, go for the one that looks better.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Actually, if two speakers sounded better and I couldn't tell the difference, I might choose the speaker with higher efficiency or power handling, cause that means better sound for me during loud passages :)

Rob_Z

Grip
I wouldn't buy either one. If I bought the better sounding ones, I would wish they where better looking, if I bought the better looking ones, I would always be critical of the sound. My suggestion is to keep looking, you haven't found your speaker yet.;)

Cam S

Screenwriter
Sound over looks for me, but if the speakers looks good and sounds good (like the Klipsch reference series for me) then you can have your cake and eat it too :)

I faced this very dilemma a few months ago.

It was between;
Definitive Technology
M&K

Def Techs - great appearance/sound good
M&K - homely/sound better

I really wanted the DT's cause they looked so much better, but I had to go with the sound quality. My wife was actually happy I went for sound, I won't be tempted to upgrade right away.

ChrisJJ

Agent
I always thought I was a sound first guy until I saw the Vandersteens. I couldn't fathom putting those in my livingroom, and that was when I was still single!

So I guess in the end, I would view a speaker as both a piece of art and of function. Especially a prominant floor-standing unit.

Zac_F

Agent
I usually go for the sound. I have a pair of Spica TC-50 which have an unusual sloping front. Other than the novelty factor, I hate the way they look. I also have a DIY center which I haven't veneered yet, raw MDF with birch plywood front. Pretty ugly. I keep telling my wife I'll finish it soon. I've had the mahogany veneer in the basement for 4 months now. I also just bought a used svs cylinder sub which I pick up this weekend. I'm sure she'll be thrilled by the look of that.

OTOH, my wife was with me when I bought the Spicas and was happy with them. She encouraged me to DIY, knowing how little time I have to work on it. (She rolled her eyes over the sub though.)

Some day I'll replace the Spicas with a DIY pair. These will be a work of art.

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I had the same choice when I selected my speakers for both my HT and my stereo only system:

HT choices: B&W CDM 7NT or Paradigm Studio 60 V2 (wood sides) - I preferred the sound for HT of the Pradigms's, but the B&W's were nicer looking. - I bought the Paradigm's (hey they were also a little cheaper).

Stereo system: B&W 805N's or Dynaudio Countour 1.3SE's: I much preferred the sound of the SE's versus the B&W's, but once again the B&W's are gorgeous. I bought the Dyn's.

Mike

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I shop for speakers that sound good. It is when they don't inspire me to listen to them when I don't consider them. In other words, if a speaker is ugly I won't buy them.

If a speaker is designed purely for performance purposes I don't have a problem.

I would put sound slightly above looks because I try and look at a speaker's design just for what it is. Then I decide if I want that speaker in my house and will it integrate well with the environment and how does the design make me feel.

I do however see a lot of cognative dissonance among people. (They change their beliefs and attitudes towards a speaker so that they are in accord with their decision)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Brian, I don't have the AV 1's done yet. I did finally get some high res pics of the enclosure I just haven't got around to posting them. I sold my Titans last week. So I just need to save up a bit more money and I can buy the kits. I'm really looking forward to getting them finished.

Ryan

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,

Sounds good! BTW, Danny won't have any more of the 5.25" drivers for another 2-3 weeks so you have time to save.

Brian

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I don't think that anyone (especially everyone on this forum) your consciously sacrifice sound for looks. But there is something to be said about aesthetics, and I'm sure on a subconscious level there is a bias toward something that is aesthetically pleasing. I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a documentary about how humans are affected by beauty. I think it was called "The Science Of Beauty" and may have been on Discovery or TLC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks