Surrouns Setup? Small Space and I want ones that are good for stereo audio as well

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Lev, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Rob Lev

Rob Lev Auditioning

Can anyone reccomend either a good speaker set, or a combination of speakers to create a surround set with? I would like them to be great for both movies and listening to music.

I am looking to spend around $700 or less. I am using a Sony STR-DE945 Receiver. The room I am setting up my system in measures 12'9" x 7' (small).

What are you reccomendations. My dad has suggested that I get 5 superzeros and a subwoofer. What do you guys think of this and how much do you think it would cost? Also what subwoofer would you get? Should I just get a small inexpensive system such as the JBL SCS150SI ($475 at bestbuy) and wait until I get into a bigger place to get a real system?

My dad had a setup consisting of NHT superones (front, right, center) and superzeros (rear L/R) as well as the SA-2 subwoofer/amp and I am familiar with them and really liked them. He has since upgraded the front L/R to be NHT 2.5i (i think) and moved the superones and the subwoofer to the living room for listening to music. He also has a set of Bose Acoustimass 6 Series 2 in a small den (I'll expect some flaming as a result of this).

I am only telling you about those systems to let you know what I am familiar with.

What are your recommendations?

2. Rob Lev

Rob Lev Auditioning

So no response, huh?

OK What would you buy as a surround setup (speakers) with $700 or less?

Rob Lev

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I would get something like what your dad has: the SuperOne, the SuperZero, and a powered sub. The SuperOne is an excellent speaker for listening to music, especially in a small room. I believe OneCall.com is still taking orders for SuperOnes. Yes, there are other choices out there but I doubt few will be better for BOTH music and movies.

4. Rob Lev

Rob Lev Auditioning

What about the newer NHT Speakers? How does a SuperOne stack up against an SB1/2/3? How about a SuperOne and SuperOne XU? SuperZero and a SB31/2/3? SuperZero and the SuperZero XU?

Rob Lev

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Rob,

You are talking about a big gap in price between the SuperOne and the SB2, its replacement. I've heard the SB2 and while I am very impressed, it's going to cost you a lot more than the SuperOne. Is it better?? Yes....the bass response is certainly better. But is it A LOT BETTER?? No. As for the XU versions of the SuperOne and SuperZero, I've not heard them at all, so I will keep my comments just on the SuperOne and the SB2. I've heard the SB3 as well, but it's at another level in terms of sound quality and price.

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

For speakers 5 SuperZeroes or the JBL N-series are hard to beat due to what they are going right now for. Picking up an Adire or HSU sub would really round up the setup nicely or you might can get by with a modified Sony SA-WM40, modified AudioSource SW-15, or DLS sub.

7. Jefferson G

Jefferson G Auditioning

Rob I'm not an ultra experienced audiophile like many that wander these forums but I've got a suggestion. Try some JBL S38s as mains and add S26s for rears, S-CenterII for the center channel and the Sony WM40 is a little below $800 shipped at Etronics. If you must spend less than $700 then you can use 2 sets of S26s and the S-Center with the Sony sub all for under $700 shipped.
    I just ordered a very similar system from Etronics and was very pleased with their response time and any questions I had that needed to be answered. I demoed this series of speakers, and while spending as much of my budget as possible, of the demoed speakers these pleased me the most.