Surrounds to match Energy C6 / AC-300

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris Carde, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Chris Carde

Chris Carde Agent

Hi everybody,

I've got a system built around Energy C-6s and an AC-300 in the front, all of which I love. I've survived for years with a pair of $20 no-name surround speakers, but with my AVR-3803 in the mail it's time to go to a real 7.1 setup.

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for rear speakers to match the C-6 and AC-300. I don't need a perfect match, but would like something reasonably good and most importantly, cheap. If possible, I'd like to spend around $200 for all four used. I'm also a little confused on what speakers would be best in a 7.1 setup... I'm guessing bipolar for the L/R surrounds, and direct-radiating for the rear L/R speakers?

I should mention that I'm currently using this system for 2-channel music (50%) and 5.1 (soon to be 7.1) theater/HDTV (50%). However, I'd really like to get into multichannel SACD/DVD-A and would like speakers that work well for that as well.

Appreciate any advice!

Chris

2. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

The C-6s are great speakers. If you really only want to spend $200, rather than save up some $$$ and buy something of similar quality, buy some used e:XL speakers. Or, some used Paradigm speakers. I use Titans as my rear speakers, and although they do sound brighter than the rest of my Energy speakers (AC-300, C-5s, and C-1s), they will suffice until I decide to save up some money for a quality pair of rears.