Surrounds: Need more than mini-monitors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary TP, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

I have Paradigm Monitor 11's v3 fronts
    CC370 center
    pw2200 sub

I want to add 4 surrounds-

If i want direct-radiating:
    Is there any reason to need more than mini-monitors for quality/power?

Should I consider the monitor-3's,5's??

I generally will use these solely for HT, but perhaps some surround music as well...

I have heard that the surrounds can receive the same sound level as mains in a DD/DTS environment so I don't want to short change these at all compared with the rest of the system....

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I run this speaker system tho w/ 9s. Minis are so good-sounding, people on a budget run em as bookshelf mains.

I run Minis as rears because the corners and openings in my living room didnt take advantage of ADPs. I cannot speak to other than R/L Surrounds. All my speakers set to SMALL.

Running 5-Chl Stereo, my Minis keep up with the frontstage like champs. Your thinking seems right on point...

bill

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I use Minis as mains with no sub in my second system, and have used them as surrounds in my main system. Personally, I don't think there is any need for more than Minis as surrounds, in fact, I'm using Titans as surrounds right now, and when set to small, they have no problem keeping up with my Monitor 5s. I went from using 3 Titans, to 2 Titans and a CC170 in a 6.1 setup. The Minis can hold their own. [​IMG]

4. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Hey, I have a question,
    I have Ttians for the surrounds and they seem to be just fine except when I play the THX logo thingy. When it starts out, I get distortion in the left one. It then goes away when it spreads to the rest of the speakers. I know they can handle this playback level cause I don't hear it with anything else (i think). I'm sure I have enough amp and that they are set to small, and my connections are secure. I don't think I'm over-driving them either but maybe.
    Any ideas?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Are the levels calibrated with an SPL meter? I get no distortion with mine at normal and reference levels.

THX intro on WHICH DISC? (there are tons)

6. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

I also have Titans as surrounds, powered by my 1050 (65wpc) or my HCA-855a (85wpc), there is no distortion on any of the THX intro's. They seem to make very nice surrounds, for the price.

7. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

I have 9's as fronts, LCR as center, ADP's as sides and monitor 5 as back. All powered by Denon 5803, with PW-2200 taking care of low end.

No problem in last 2 years (before I used 5800, and before 3300); usually -10, sometimes when demoing - 0 on denon.
    Room size 15.5x16x9.

_zjt

8. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I have 7's front, CC-350 center, 3's rear and PW-2200 sub. I have loved the way the 3's handle anything thrown at them, but I think mini's would have worked just as well and have the same exact drivers as the 7's. But the difference in driver size has never been noticeable. I keep everything well calibrated.

9. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Yeah, I have them calibrated and all.

I think it's on all the THX's. X-Men, Unbreakable, even Casablanca! (just kidding)
    I used to be running a Pioneer Elite VSX97 with the SP99D DD processor, and so with that they were only getting about 50 watts, and I thought maybe it was clipping, but now I am driving them with an ATI 1505, (is this a good amp?), and the SP99D, (until I decide on a new pre-pro), but I still hear it. Maybe I'll try to switch it with my other surround and see if it does it. Or maybe my crap is so old...(hence my getting rid of it for the seperates world).

Other equip. involved:
    Pioneer Elite CLD79
    Pioneer DV525
    Paradigm 7seMK3's
    CC-370
    Titans (surr.)
    PW 2200 with X30

10. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

ChrisHeflen

Try disconnecting all the other speakers and play the logo again. If it happens again then it is either the amp and that channel or the speaker. Then try the other speaker on the same channel. If it doesn't do it then its the speaker.

Kevin