Surrounds for room? Help.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by David Ryan, Mar 7, 2005.

1. David Ryan

David Ryan Extra

Here it goes, I currently have an Onkyo HTIB 5.1 system. Now I just upgraded my reciever to an TX-SR602B (7.1 system). So I need to get two more speakers for the back surrounds. My room is rather small about 16x18. Now I want to upgrade and this is the perfect time. I will start by getting a set of rear surrounds that will mesh with the Onkyos, but also has a product like for further replacement of the existing speakers. Now heres a problem. I sit against the rear wall on a futon. If the speaker box is too big then it will be basically over my head. I was looking at the dipole/bipole speaker setup, and they seem to be better for my room. So my question is, is that I am right in assuming that bipoles/dipoles will be better, and if so what brands that will not run over 250 dollars for a pair? Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    You can check the Onkyo site, which sells its products direct. You might be able to snag a couple speakers separately.

Most recommendations I've read say that if you can't have the rear center surrounds actually behind you, it's better to stick to 5.1 since you can't get the proper imaging. FWIW.

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee