Surrounds for Back Wall

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Wolters, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

I can't do side walls for surround speakers. My only real option is where they presently are, on the back wall facing the TV. If I buy new surrounds what kind should I buy, that will perform best on the back wall, facing forward? The listening position is also on the couch against this wall.

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Placing speakers on the back wall works fine. It may not be as good as sidewall placement, but it isnt a whole lot worse. You dont need any certain brand or type of speakers to place on the back wall. Whatever sounds good to you (and preferably the same as your mains).
    You may also want to experiment with placing them behind the couch, facing upwards along the back of the couch (sounds better if the couch is a couple of feet forward of the back wall).
    [​IMG]
    This pic is from www.dolby.com. See http://www.dolby.com for more ideas on rear-wall placement.
    I have my rears positioned just like picture B. The couch is about 3 feet away from the back wall. It sounds pretty good. Raising the speakers off of the ground is a must, they sounded bad when I tried laying them directly on the ground pointing up.
    Jeff

3. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

any thoughts on putting some dipoles on the back wall? i guess the speaker drivers would face each other. my concern is that they'll cancel each other out in between the two speakers. the ones i have in mind are energy e:xl r, which have a passive radiator on one side, possibly complicating the situation further.

The couch will also be right at the wall or very close to it (1-2 feet).

4. Larry Rasmussen

Had a similar situation a couple houses back. Had good luck with a ceiling mount about 18" out with the direct radiating speakers pointed down at the rear wall at about a 45 degree angle. Really a pretty good overall ambience without excessive localization or the feeling that the sound was coming from above you. You really would want a locked in return policy on the dipoles in case they did cancel if you go that route.

5. Eddie Wimberly

Eddie Wimberly Stunt Coordinator

I am getting ready to set up my HT. My couch is up against the back wall. I am thinking of getting 2 very tall speaker stands and setting them us as shown in picture A. Does picture A describe an area with no wall behind the couch, or a wall behind the couch?

Will the wall behind the couch mess up the sound because it will bounce off the back wall? Please help me with this as it is getting to the last minute and if I'm going to order the stands it has to be soon.