1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Surrounds for an Ascend Acoustics 5.1 system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Victor Chan, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s for L & R fronts w/ the intent of slowly building up to a 5.1 system. I don't quite know what to do about the surrounds.

I was at first considering just getting 5 CBM-170s, the fact that I listen to 50%HT and 50% music (none of which is multichannel) makes me think that perhaps dipoles might be a better fit for my system. What do you guys think? SHould I just go with the CBM-170s for the surrounds for the sake of uniform voicing? IF I do go the dipole route, any suggestions as to what might work well w/ the Ascend Acoustics fronts?

Speaking of fronts, I was planning on getting a CBM-170s front for the sake of uniformity of the front soundfield, but the introduction of the new center has made me pause. What should I go with? Some have said that the dedicated center is better than using a CBM-170 as a center, but isn't the best solution for creating a uniform soundfield 3 identical speakers across the front?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

If you turn the 170 horizontally, the characteristics will change a little. That in itself will make the front stage slightly less seamless. If you orient all of them vertically, then that route would be the way to go. If, however, you have to place it horizontally, I would go with the new center because it is made to have high dispersion in the horizontal position and I'm sure will match very well with the 170's.

As for the surrounds, it is up to your personal tastes. I can't stand the way monopoles draw attention to themselves so I would go with a bipole/dipole speaker. I wonder if Ascend will introduce a dipole surround any time. I hope so.

Good Luck
    David

PS. I don't have Ascends now, but will once the new center is in production.

3. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Hi Victor,

Have you considered using HTM-200s for the surrounds? They have a slightly wider soundfield than the CBM-170s. And I would definitely go with the upcoming dedicated center channel speaker.