What's new

Surround Working Question (1 Viewer)

Spicoli

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
A couple boneheaded questions regarding surround experience:

I've got a HK-AVR247 with 5.1 set-up (HKTS14) on a Bravia with Verizon FIOS.

It seems that when I'm watching certain channels, it will say broadcasting in 5.1 Dolby and the receiver shows all 5 speakers lit up, but I never hear anything from my rear speakers? In fact, anytime I watch just TV, I never hear anything from the rears.

Is this normal for TV? Does Verizon not relay 5.1 broadcasts?

The rears do seem to work with DVD and Blue-Ray but I never really get that enveloping sound.

What's a really good movie to test that the rears are working properly and at the right sound level?

Appreciate any help.

Later

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did you calibrate the system at all, or just hook up all the speakers and expect everything to work right?

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
I agree with JohnRice that you probably need to calibrate your system. As for TV 5.1 specifically, the 5.1 sound in most TV shows is very poor IMO as compared to almost any other input (DVD, Blu-ray, etc.). There are a some shows with good 5.1; Num3bers is one of the best, but for the most part, don't expect a lot of action from your surround speakers while watching TV. Also, remember that TV stations can broadcast their audio as "DD", but the actual output may be stereo or even just center channel only.

Spicoli

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
I did use the HK set-up process and mic.

I put on Pearl Harbor DVD last night and the rears are definitely working for the DVD on DTS.

It just seems like I get nothing when watching TV - must be the way that Verizon broadcasts although in my STB, I have a surround Audio option that I've chosen.

I'll guess I'll watch NUMB3RS and test out.

Thanks

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Odd as this may seem, some channels are broadcast 5.1 with some of the signal slots being "empty". The speaker indicator on many AVR shows what is being received, not what's being played so L/C/R/SL/SR and SUB may all be lit even if some of the inputs are actually null. There are a couple like this from my local cable provider where the speaker indicator on my AVR says there's 5.1 being input BUT only 2 channels are non-zero audio. Go figure...:frowning:

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Just because the TV station or whatever transmits in 5.1 is no guarantee that the material is in 5.1 As previous posters have said, check out some shows that do have surround sound, and see how it works. Also, many commercials are in surround, just so they stand out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks