What's new

Surround vs Rear Surround (B&K 307 question) (1 Viewer)

John-e-s

Auditioning
Hopefully someone out there has the answer for this one. I have two fronts, a front center, then three additional speakers--two identical rear-type and a center-type. Without the extra center type, set up is obvious--hook up the two identical speakers as rear surrounds. However, if I want to use the rear center, my receiver (B&K307) requires I hook up the two identical speakers as surround L&R (not rear surrounds), then use the center type as a single rear surround speaker, to which both R&L rear signal will be sent. Which is better--just going with 5.1, or having 6 speakers, but with a non-split rear? Am I losing more by not having split rear signal and having R&L surrounds (which by the way are behind the listener in my set up)? I haven't opened the rear center, and I could just take it back and get two speakers for rear surrounds and have 7.1. Thanks in advance for any Thoughts

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm not familiar with the B&K307, but I'd be very surprised if it actually operates in the manner you've described. I'm retitling this thread to include the receiver model and moving it to Receivers/Separates/Amps, where it's more likely to be seen by people familiar with your receiver.
M.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
JUST set-up the 2 you have as "side surrounds" and the rear center as one of the rear surrounds and tell the rcvr that you only have 1 and it will work the way you want it to...the rcvr doesn't do any thing differant to "side surrounds" than it does to "rear surrounds" meaning it doesn't know where you are hangin' 'em...

This being said ...

The B&K HAS A UNIQUE FEATURE THAT YOU MAY WANT TO AVAIL YOURSELF OF!!!!

WITH TWO PAIRS OF SURROUNDS (SIDE AND REAR) YOU CAN RUN:

1.)SURROUND 5 SIDE (5.1 FROM SIDE SURROUNDS)

2.)SURROUND 5 REAR (5.1 FROM REAR SURROUNDS)

3.)SURROUND 7 (5.1 FROM BOTH SETS OF SURROUNDS

4.)SURROUND 6 (6.1 "MATRIX" REAR SURROUNDS PLAYING THE 6TH CHANNEL OUT OF BOTH SPEAKERS)

WOW!!!!! TALK ABOUT THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS, I DON'T HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN REAR DIRECT RADIATORS OR SIDE WIDE DISPERSIONS!!!!

John-e-s

Auditioning
Thank you so much. The people on this forum are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Us newbies are humbled. JS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks