1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Surround Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SusanP, Aug 10, 2001.

1. SusanP

SusanP Extra

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to the list. I've been lurking for about two weeks now and this is my first post. I recently won a Yamaha 5.1 DTS receiver at my company picnic. I never been much into home theater but I've had a Dolby surround sound set up in my living room for the past ten years. I know the speakers I have aren't that great anymore (jbl) but what I'm asking is this...
    The surround speakers I have are tiny little guy because I was told that they are only used for ambient sounds so I don't need much. With my new receiver I am wonder if I should get better speaker for the surrounds because more sound is sent back there? Should I have the kind of speakers that match my mains?
    I read the reviews on the norh speakers and think I might get a pair (they'll match my decor perfectly) should I buy five or just three for the front stage? The basic question is do the back speakers need to be as good as the front?
    Thanks,
    Petunia

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Petunia,
    Welcome to HTF! Unusual name you have. Be interested in hearing the story behind it. On to more important things now:
    If you buy speakers (nOrh or otherwise), it is best to buy a matching set. This way a helicopter will not sound like an airplane as it is transitioning form the left rear speaker to the right front speaker (gross exageration but you can see the point). At a bare minimum the front three should match.
    As for either a pair or all five for the nOrhs, go with the package. You will be spending $675 for the front three. Might as well spend the addition $175 and get the rears too. They will also need a sub. Do you currently have one? If not, what is your budget for one? What is the room size where the HT will be going? Any openings? Will you be playing it (your HT system) at reference levels? Seems like a barrage of questions there but they all are necessary. If you need a sub, good ones can be had for between $400 - $800.
    Perhaps the most important purchase will be a SPL meter and a calibration DVD. Those will go a long way towards your HT enjoyment.

3. SusanP

SusanP Extra

Thanks for the reply.
    My name isn't so special. My last name is Petalucci and for most of my life (I'm 29) people have been calling me Petunia.
    I have a sub, (Yamaha YST-100)it's old but it's the least of my worries now. So maybe I'll go for the package deal at Norh. I just got my fed refund so I'm itchin' to spend it on something.
    Room size? We'll I just bought a new house so I'm thinking of putting all of this stuff in the basement family room which is 25x17. There is a window and a fireplace.
    Are there any other gals on this list?
    Cheers,
    Petunia
    [Edited last by SusanP on August 10, 2001 at 09:33 AM]

4. SusanP

SusanP Extra

Sorry for being so dumb...
    Can somebody clue me into reference levels? What does that mean? Sounds like it gonna be loud! [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Petunia

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Congratulations on your good fortune. I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver for almost 3 years and have been very pleased. Some other speaker brands I suggest you take a look at are, my personal favorite, Paradigm, PSB, and Energy. These are Canadian brands that have a great speakers for the money.
    For your size of room you might want to consider at least the Mini-Monitor in the Paradigm brand. Good luck and enjoy your new system.