surround speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh.L, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Josh.L

Josh.L Agent

first time posting here, so hello everyone. My name is Josh. Just getting into this HT thing after being engulfed in my car stereo for the past 4 years. It's finally finished. Anyway, I've got lots of questions, but I'll start with just one: I need a set of rear surround speakers. I want a set that are small enough so I can mount on them on the wall with brackets. I would prefer those small cube shaped ones. I guess I would be using these primarily for watching movies. Today, I got the sony 34" widescreen. I love this TV! I also got Infinity Interlude fronts (IL40) and center (IL25c) off ebay. I know these are not "hardcore" speakers like some of you guys have, but there were alot of reasons why they were right for me. Anyway, the most sensible thing for me to do is to get the IL10 bookshelfs for my rear surrounds, but I just don't think I want speakers this big for surrounds. So do any of you have any suggestions for good, small, rear surrounds? I don't want to spend over $150. Is there anything in this price range? If I left anything out, I'm sorry. I'm kind of new to this.

2. Dan Workman

Dan Workman Extra

At that price point, I'll throw out the suggestion of looking at the Paradigm Micros. They retail for $149. Others may have other suggestions, but give these a try - they should be about the size you're looking for.

3. Josh.L

Josh.L Agent

Thanks for the suggestion Dan. I checked these out (online) and according to all the reviews, people love these. Only thing is, IMO, they are darn ugly. But I may still get them. What are some online sources to get these at a good price?

And does anybody else have any other suggestions for small surround speakers?

thanks

4. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Hi Josh,

Are you wanting small surrounds because you don't have the room or because you don't want to look at them? I'd suggest getting a decent sized surround because with DD 5.1 and DTS you'll be getting full range surround effects that will require a speaker that is capable of reproducing higher SPLs. I had Paradigm Atoms for my surrounds and they did pretty well in surround duty but were a bit taxed once in a while. I'm now upgrading and will have all 5 speakers identicle. You can mount quite large speakers on bracket wall mounts.

I understand the want/need for small surrounds but my theory is the closer they are to being the same speaker as the mains the better.

Darren

5. Josh.L

Josh.L Agent

Darren,

thanks for clarifying. I did not know the information sent to these speakers were full range. I do want a smaller rear because I have a small living room and am trying to appease the wife and not have hugh speakers all over the place. I guess I will have to find a good compromise in size and the ability to handle lower frequencies.