Surround speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by mike__j, Jan 1, 2005.

1. mike__j

mike__j Extra

I am building a home theater system. I just bought the Hatchi 50vs810. I am looking for speakers to go with the TV. I have looked at Axiom, but I have real concerns about buying something over the net without listening to them. I have also looked at SVS but the same applies. I understand the return policy but I still will be out freight. I have looked at the JBL towers and they look good to me. The sound seems to be good. My room is 7,000 cubic foot. This is my living room. I am thinking of using tower speakers and a 12" sub with rear wall mount speakers. I want the rear speakers to be low profile and I will paint the enclosure to match the wall color. I need help on the brand of speakers to listen to. And what is a good receiver to buy. I want to stay around 3k on the sound system. I know this is not much of a budget but it is a start. Please give me some advice. Thanks. Mike

2. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

If you go with the JBL towers ( I just ordered the E80's and picked up the EC35 yesterday), then look at the E30 or E50's for surrounds.
    The E20's are rear firing ports, so not good for wal mounting. I am going to look at them today, or the E30's (compusa clearance sale) as I am going to mount them on stands.
    If it is ion your budget, then go with the E50's.

A pair of E90's ($425-450 shipped) + an EC35 center (much better then the EC25 ($150 shipped) + 2 E50's ($225is I think for the pair) would do you right with your sub.

Their are many other alternatives people will chime in with. Seems to be good deals on the Athena's (altho I hear the center is just so-so).

3. mike__j

mike__j Extra

What would be a good wall mount for the surrounds. Thanks

4. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Well, I just went out and checked out the e10's, 20s and 30's.

as we know, 20's no good for wall mount (but I may get them as I have to stand mount them now)
    E10's are strictly made to wall mount, but only 4" driver (they still sounded ok). I must tell you the the E30's are pretty damn big, but if you can wall mount them, they sound GREAT as surrounds (with 6" woofer).
    E50 would be the ultimate, has an 8" woofer 3" mid and a tweeter, front firing port and they are horizonatl instead of vertical.
    If you have the budget and can mount them, GET them!