1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

surround speakers under $1000

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ZachNie, Mar 9, 2005.

1. ZachNie

ZachNie Auditioning

Well, income taxes came in and now I have a idea of what I can spend on some new speakers. I started a thread a while back, but now that I have a budget, I was hoping to get better suggestions. I need a center channel, 2 front, and 2 rear speakers. Maybe a subwoofer too, but I don't think a budget of $1000 would suffice good enough to include a sub, so that will most likely get putoff for now. For the rear speakers, I would really prefer in-the-wall speakers due to the design of the room and space provided. For the front speakers, I would like to go with a floor standing set of speakers due to the design of the front. About two thirds of the front wall is recessed starting from the left side, so an entertainment center will be built into the wall. With the design I'm going with, if I were to use bookshelf speakers, I wouldn't be able to have the speakers mounted perpendicular to one another as one would most likely be set back another couple feet. Any information or suggestions provide would be highly appreciated. And as a side note, I have a Sony receiver which I believe is a model str675 or str875 (or something similar to this).

Also, where can I purchase the mentioned speakers?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

I recommend the Wharfedale Diamond series.

If you want to buy from a local dealer, I suggest you consider the Diamond 8.4 towers, Diamond in-wall surrounds, and the Diamond 8 center. Although it might not be readily apparent, Wharfedale does make in-wall surrounds for their systems. I know for a fact this is the case for the Wharfedale Evolution series. If memory serves, they offer in-wall solutions for all their systems so they can compete in the custom installation market. In any event, take 15% off MSRP and a little more for a package deal and you should have around $150-200 leftover to put towards a subwoofer.

OR

If you are wililng to purchase over the internet, you can get into the recently released Diamond 9 series (significant improvement over the 8 series both sonically and aesthetically)and remain within your budget. Check out AudioAdvisor.com to get an idea of Diamond 9 prices. Odds are you would have to contact a local dealer regarding in-wall surrounds.

Both the Diamond 8 and 9 series offer superb value and are very difficult to beat (much less match)on a dollar-for-dollar basis. You can find consumer reviews of the Diamond 8 series at audioreview.com. The Diamond 9 series was released not long ago, so you won't find any reviews on audioreview.com. However, I am sure you can find some Diamond 9 owners on this and other forums.

Regards

3. ZachNie

ZachNie Auditioning

Thanks for your reply. Searching around, I really haven't found any complaints about them, other than the construction of the boxes. I emailed them trying to find a local dealer, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I would like to hear them before purchasing, but since there is so many good things being said about them, I can just buy over the net. However, I'm having problems locating the diamond series in-wall speakers. I've found the PI-W6 and W8, but not the diamond.

4. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

The PI-W6 is the Evolution series.

I will call the local Wharfedale dealer here in KS (I have to call him tommorow anyway)and ask the owner about in-wall surrounds for the Diamond series.

I will check back in tommorow.

5. ZachNie

ZachNie Auditioning

Thanks, I appreciate it.