Surround Speaker's Performance

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Louisp, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    Our Alpha 20's are used as surrounds right and left. Each are mounted seven feet from the floor and one foot from the ceiling.

Here's my concern. For the most part the sound from each A20 surround speaker is too localized, meaning that the person sitting to the right mostly hears the right surround and likewise, the person sitting to the left mostly hears the left. Please note that the sound from the fronts and center is good.

Any advice regarding how best to correct this is certainly appreciated.

2. Sam A

Sam A Stunt Coordinator

move them farther away. if not possible, face them away from the listener. or buy dipole, tripole speakers. Ive seen surrounds facing up so the sound hits the ceiling first so it diffuses the sound first.

3. Sam A

Sam A Stunt Coordinator

move them farther away. if not possible, face them away from the listener. or buy dipole, tripole speakers. Ive seen surrounds facing up so the sound hits the ceiling first so it diffuses the sound first.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If they are not pointed at you, then they are reflecting off the ceiling too much. Point down and towards the center of the room so as to minimize the first reflection at the listening area. It is tough to eliminate localization, but experimentation with the speakers should be able to minimize it. In my previous setup, I had them 4 feet behind and pointed at each other. In my current room, they are behind and pointed toward the center of the room.

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

have you calibrated properly?