Surround Speakers - How High is Too High???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Mello, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

The backwall of my living room blends into my kitchen/bar area. I have no good place to mount the right rear speaker. My ceiling height is 11'6" and I could mount the rears at 9'. Otherwise, it will be an awkward and unsightly situation for the right rear. Will the sound be lost at that height? Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Mine are about that height and are fine since there is limited flexibility. I do have very tall front speakers though (about 55 inches) and when I redo my rear wiring in a year or so I will get them a drop lower but I don't have much choice. Most rear speaker recommendations I have seen indicate 5 to 9 feet from the floor. So much depends on the system as a whole and the room too. My prior set was a drop higher but I angled them down a little and to the back of the room behind and on side of my head. In an old house I had speakers almost that high (probably 8 ft. on a ceiling a little higher than 9 ft.) and when I was concerned about performance I started putting them on top of 6 ft. ladder on then a big box on top of the ladder to get a feel for how they would perform.

3. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Phil, I'll try that ladder idea and see how they sound before I mount them! [​IMG]