Surround Speakers, How high can I go?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Johnny_M, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

Ok, I've been reading the 4 million previous posts about this today, but I'm wondering if anyone has had much luck with high surround placement. The room I'm in is almost forcing me to place my 3 surrounds up near the ceiling. Theres a window and a fireplace in my way. So we're looking at about 8 ft. high. Will this sound OK?

I know that room accoustics make a difference and experimentation is best, but I really don't have a way of testing them before I mount them, and I don't want to move them too many times or I'll have to patch all the holes each time.

Also, since there is 1 center channel, should the L and R face eachother or should they point forward?

Thanks,

Johnny

2. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

My L and R surrounds are 8 ft up near the ceiling and they sound great. I previously had them sitting on endtables in the corners and prefer the high mounting.

A closet door on one side forced me to mount above the door and match the height on the other side. I use some quarter-circle shelves from Home Depot. The speakers sit at the edge of the shelf so there is minimal reflection off the shelf.

L and R surrounds should face each other so sound is directed across the listening area, not toward the front of the room. Mine are angled forward slightly since they are mounted behind my listening position.

The Dolby website recommends 2-3 ft above, and right next to or just slightly behind, the listening position. Just make the best compromise for your room.

EDIT: Link to Dolby website

3. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Just to jump in here. Would that mean I should point my rear towers right at each other? They are angled in towereds the center of the room now. I will try this tonight.

4. Brandon D

Brandon D Agent

Dolby's website has much information on this....

As for the rear - yes. The sound stage should be U shaped or horse shoe shaped. People have the common misconception that the rear speakers are 'supposed' to be pointed at the back of your head or the middle of the room or whatnot.

Ideally they should be just behind the listener 2 feet or so facing each other. That allows the rear to be filled with out holes.

5. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    I had a similar problem when I re-designed my HT room. My side surrounds used to mounted just above my ear level. Due to the room layout, I had to move them to just over 7 feet up - wich put them about 8 inches from the ceiling.

Since the change, I noticed that the sound is more 'surrounding'. I no longer get distracted by the left or right side speakers. It made a huge difference. The experience is much better now.

6. Brandon D

Brandon D Agent

if you must mount your speakers higher than you wish consider mounting them upside down - or with the tweeter being closer to the ear than the woofer, if that's possible. This should give you better response and a more enveloping effect. Of course this is subjective and differs with speakers - try it, see if it works for you.

7. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of JBL N26II'ssitting on shelves at the top of my cellieng, they are pointed down at me and the tweeter is like 10 in from the back wall, which my head is against, it sounds alot better that when i had them ear level and it looks alot better

BTW that are about 8ft away at a diagonal.

8. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

ok cool, well high i go! i'll play with mounting them different directions and see what i come up with. thanks for all the advice.

Johnny