Surround speakers for around $300 or less

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Iott, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Phil Iott

Phil Iott Auditioning

I just moved into a new house and am looking to upgrade my surround speakers. Currently I have Infinity all around but my current surrounds are the boxy bookshelf type that I have had on stands. For the new house I am looking to mount the surrounds up on the wall. Because of the design of the room, one will have to be on the side wall and the other on the back wall. The ones I really like are the Klipsch RS-3 but they are a little pricey with and MSRP of $550. I am guessing I would pay between $480 and $500 at a dealer. I would really like to stick with a similar design with the angled tweeters because I think it will help with the wall placement issue(one side one back). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    ------------------
    My DVDs

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You good look at the Radio Shack speakers with the Linaeum tweeters currently on sale for $49.97 each, Linn 5110s ($295/pr. list and brackets are available at additonal cost) and B&W LM-1s ($350/pr. list but integrated mounting bracket) or you could go with the Infinity outrigger indoor/outdoor speakers too - lots of choices.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Have you thought about the Infinity quadrupoles? Certainly wall mount. Despite the fact that they have no tweeter, they actually sound quite impressive. They give one of the widest dispersions I've ever heard from a surround.
    Have you also considered getting some longer brackets, and hanging the speakers from the ceiling?
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

4. Phil Iott

Phil Iott Auditioning

I actually was kind of hoping to upgrade to something a little better than Infinity, since I do want to upgrade my mains and center down the road as well... I really kind of want to stick to a speaker similar in shape to the Klipsch RS-3 since I think other designs look kind of awkward on the wall. Of course this may not be possible in the $300 range, I may have to push it to $400.
    ------------------
    My DVDs