1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Surround speakers: Boston Acoustics vs Jamo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregory S, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Gregory S

Gregory S Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on the Boston Acoustics VR-MX surround speakers vs the Jamo 8SUR surround speaker.

I know the VR-MX is a diffuse speaker, not really a dipole or bipole - depends how you orient the speakers you can get diffuse or direct. The Jamo is switchable between dipole or bipole.

What are the differences between the 2 speakers (bright, warm, etc.) and which speakers has a better sense of envelopment.

If you only have experience with one of them please tell me your experience/opinions.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Gregory S

I know there's at least some BA users here! What's your opinion of the VR-MX?

Thanks,
    Greg

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Gregory,
    I wish I could really help you, but since there has been little response to this post- I'll tell you what little I can. I have heard a pair of Boston VR965 series speakers, not the VRM series. The speakers sounded great, rich in the highs, clear vocals, nice imaging- great midrange, and went down real low. I know I left saying- "wish I had room for these." Now, as far as new Boston bookshlef speakers are concerned- I think the older HD series blow the new CR series out of the water. Hey, a lot of people really like the CR series speakers, but I thought they were on the thin side and maybe knowing that Boston's aren't made in the US anymore effected my hearing regarding this series- could happen. I now nothing of the Jamos and can't help you really- but I thought I would give you my .02 on the Boston line. One more thing- I have heard a high end BA sub and it kicked @@$. In sum, I think the high end BA's sound great, the lower end was better in the past, and the jamos- can't say at all. This is just my opinion mind you.

4. Gregory S

Jose,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciate your opinion on the BA's.

Greg

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Hi greg, sorry you have not been given too many responces. B.A. Never seems to garner the amount of responces (and sometimes respect) that i think they should. The company has been around for years and has always made very high quality speakers. Like any company they will take a dip here and there but they remaine to me at least one of the better speakers on the market today. The VRMX is a fine surround speaker, the best "small" surround that Boston offers. It has the Lynfield tweeter which is a 1" aluminum dome tweeter so you are going to get well defined highs. The driver is 5 1/4" which will produse good mids. With its very solid and heavy enclosure and good looks you have a wonderful surround sound speaker. I am not familiar with Jamo so i apologize for not offering more on them. Give a good listen to the Boston though,as well as the jamo and let your ears be the judge. What receiver will be pushing theses speakers and what is the front soundstage? I know it is not imperitive that the fronts are the same brand as the rears but I would want to at least come close in matching the tweeters. Horn loaded speakers up front will sound odd with say a silk dome tweeter for the rears. At any rate good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

6. Gregory S

Hi Evan,

Thanks for the response. My L/C/R's are ACI Sapphire III LE's - a very smooth sounding speaker and not bright at all. If I was going with direct radiators then I would go with the ACI Emeralds. However, I want something more diffuse, such as a dipole or bipole. Both, Boston Acoustics and Jamo use cherry wood in their speakers, which go very well with the Sapphire's cherry - my wife likes the BA speakers, although she hasn't seen the Jamo's. BA's look nicer I think. I also was thinking about the Def Tech BP2X and the Axiom QS-8. I did listen to the BA's at Tweeter, but they weren't set-up to well. They did appear to have a rich sound that I think would go well with the Sapphires. I really would need to listen to it in my home to know for sure, but nothing was glaringly wrong.

I'm using the HK AVR-520 receiver - I really like it.

If you have any other opinions please post them. What's your opinion on matching the BA's or any of the other speakers I mentioned with the Sapphires?

Thanks again,
    Greg

7. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Greg,

I guess I'm really just adding to everyone else's responses regarding the BAs. I use the VR-MXs for my side surrounds and love them. I'm using the VR-M line (I think if more people actually heard this line, opinions of BA would be much higher) all around, though, and that does mean they integrate very well. I can't comment on the Jamo, either.

-Robb

8. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

I have been using a pair of VR-MX surrounds for the last year and am very pleased with them. Sound great in my system as well as look nice. I bought a DVD-A player a few months ago and was worried how a nondirect radiating speaker would work with music but I feel that there is little difference in the VR-MX and a direct radiator. You get the best of both.