What's new

Surround speakers at different distances (1 Viewer)

JeanB

Grip
Due to my room configeration one surround speaker will be about 4 feet to one side while the other one will be about 9 feet to the other side. Are there any lower cost receivers that allow you to adjust the delay for each individual speaker? If not, would it help if I positioned the height of the surrounds about 2 feet above ear elevation instead of having them at ear elevation? I am a newby and your help and advice will be appreciated.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
At dolby digital it says the back should be on line with your ears but 2-3 feet ABOVE ear level.

As far as your fronts...it says all 3 speakers need the be on the same level....again 2-3 feet ABOVE ear level.

Most people have big screens and the center speaker rests on top of the TV...so the left and right should be equal height....according to Dolby Digital.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Dont worry about the time delay. The bigger problem is getting both speakers to produce the same VOLUME.

All dolby digital receivers have separate rear speaker level adjustments. This will work fine for the central position. But the person on either side ... different story.

Moving the speakers up the wall CAN make a difference because it gives more total distance.

But try this: put the rear speakers on their back fireing UP the wall. The listeners will now hear indirect sounds. Use a SPL meter (see the Primer in the basics area) to level-adjust so the rears match the fronts. Then sit and listen to a effects-heavy movie.

JeanB

Grip
I really appreciate the suggestions. It is wonderful to have knowledgeable people with experience share their expertise with those of us that are new to all this.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad we can help.

The Basic fourm is a great place to start. Be sure to click on that little link for our Primer and FAQ. It was written by about 40 of our members, most of whom are still around to answer questions.

But dont be afraid of the other parts of our site. The same level of respect is maintained throughout. The Speakers/Amplifiers and Display Devices fourms are very, very good. And while there are some very impressive systems here, the concepts all apply to the $600 HTB (Home Theaters in a Box) systems that we often recommend for first-timers. (But we will help you spend your money if you want :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks