What's new

Surround Speaker Setup - Do We Have To Follow The Rules ? (1 Viewer)

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
I've recently been told by my wife to move my HT from one room to another and had to change my Surround Speaker locations. In the old room, they were hung off of the L & R walls, just behind the seating area. I've never like the surround speakers "in my face" (so to speak), Whether the speakers are Direct Radiating or Null Type (e.g. Klipsch RS-41 II Surround Speaker).

In the new room which has abandoned the tradition long L & R walls/short front & rear walls, my new "room" is L shaped and very very open to the Left Side (my son took my dedicated Home Theater Room as his bedroom and a decent place for his ever expanding Drum Kit. And the room is even treated with homebrew diffusion/absorption panels!

In the new location, the best compromise for the surrounds is one foot behind the sofa and hung from the ceiling. It sounds awesome when listening to Surround SACD's, DVD-A's and properly mixed Surround Blu-Ray's. Luckily, the L,C,R has not changed from the old room to the new (still have them coming out 4' from the back wall and 1' from the side walls, toed in at about 25 deg. in the standard triangle pattern). Two channel music still sounds awesome as it did in the old room. Last night, listening to King Crimson's Lizard VERY late at night and prior to it put on Springsteen's London Calling, Hyde Park 2009 show Blu-Ray. I wasn't disappointed at all. The surrounds threw a very intimate portrait of Steven Wilson's Surround mix of Lizard and The Boss's Blu-Ray kept the crowd noise behind me but not to the point of annoyance (unlike some earlier DTS DVD's)

What are your thoughts/experience on Surround placement in a 5.1 System ?

Attachments

• Joe's HT Speaker Setup.jpg
    Joe's HT Speaker Setup.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 81

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
My advice is to leave it where it is. You are the alpha male. Nobody tells the alpha male anything. :)
But if you did it out of the kindness of your heart, that's OK.(kidding)
The important thing is matching the speakers' volume levels once you've established a position that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks