Surround speaker question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jin Lee, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Jin Lee

Jin Lee Agent

Hello,
    I have a pair of boston vr-950 to start out my home theater setup and I know that I have to get same brand center channel within the same line but do I necessarily nee to get the same name brand surrounds as my front and center? I'm looking at some paradigm in particular. Thanks in advance

2. Darrin_R

Darrin_R Stunt Coordinator

I would stick with the VR tweeter so everything is has the same timber characteristics. You can get by with the CR line but I would stay with the same manufacturer.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It's always possible to mix 'n' match speakers in a home theater system. But it's harder to do, because it's almost impossible to evaluate speakers in a dealer showroom. They may sound utterly different in your environment with your system.

If you're going to try another brand for surrounds, I would make sure that you buy from a dealer who will let you try them out in your listening environment and return them if they're not a good match with the fronts.

BTW, I have the Boston Accoustics VR-MC, and it's a wonderful center channel speaker. It's the only BA speaker in the system; my original center was damaged, and I had to replace it with something that matches with a no-longer-manufactured line of Monitor Audio fronts and rears.

M.

4. glenn.arsenault

glenn.arsenault Stunt Coordinator

With the BA's you have both the VR-MX and Bravos that can fit the bill.

5. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I used to have an all Infinity setup. I recently sold my center channel and 2 towers to a buddy and purchased Definitive Technology towers and center. My rears are still from the Infinity setup and at first I was worried about how they would sound together but they actually sound alright. IMO, since it seems like you are setting up from scratch then I would go ahead and match them up. Just my .02[​IMG]

6. Jin Lee

Jin Lee Agent

thanks for the responses.[​IMG]