What's new

Surround Speaker positioning (1 Viewer)

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have my surround speakers pointing directly at each other but my listening position is in the center of the room(10x10). So would it be best to angle them so that sound enters the room. Also the way they are now they are only 1 1/2" from the back wall. Would this cause unwanted reverb? Lastly what is the max height for placing the speakers, they are currently about 4 feet above ear level.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I would leave them pointing at each other, if you point them at your listening position the sound will be very localized. The height should be 2-3' above ear level when seated. Make sure you calibrate your system with an SPL meter for the best sound from all speakers.

WWW.Dolby.Com has some realy good info on speaker placement.

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
Well should i bring them down a foot or is it not really going to matter that much.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Give it a shot and see how they sound, it might be a night and day kinda of difference, but then again it might not make any difference at all. The only way to know for certain is to experiment a little. :D

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like you have them too far back though, you want them to the SIDE of the listening position, or just slightly behind, by perhaps a foot or so.

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
Well my first listening position was pretty much right between the rear speakers but I have found that being in the center seems to create a greater surround field.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
without question, you should experiment with your rear speaker placement.

i've literally tried about five or six different setups with my gear. i finally ended up (of all places) putting them on the floor, firing straight up. that's what worked best in my room.

of course, your room will be different, so that may not work for you.

did i mention experiment? yes, i know it's a hassle, but since you posted here, you obviously care enough to get the best sound possible. :)

frank mentioned, the dolb.com website. did you go there yet? here is the specific link that deals with speaker placement.
So would it be best to angle them so that sound enters the room. Also the way they are now they are only 1 1/2" from the back wall. Would this cause unwanted reverb? Lastly what is the max height for placing the speakers...
if you angle the speakers into the room, you'll have a more pronounced rear-channel effect, since the sound will be firing towards your head. you may like it, you may find it distracting. most people would agree that the rear speakers shouldn't "take you out" of the picture....in other words, they should be subtle. however, a lot of people really like that zing-effect.

speakers typically sound better when they're further away from the wall. 1.5 inches isn't very far...so i suspect they may sound somewhat boomy. try to get them farther away if possible.

i don't think there is a max-height rule. most people say 2-3 feet above the ear is adequate (i think that's what dolby recommends), but i say you need to experiment and just find what works for you.

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
Expermintation is good, but i don't believe i have anymore paint to cover the holes in the wall.

TIP: One thing I found out that is good for filling screw holes in walls is toilet paper mixed with water and wood glue. Shove some in the hole. give it a couple hours to dry and just paint right over it.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
My wife likes to rearrange everything every once in a while
as a result the living/ht room will be changed here very shortly...
Now, we currently have the couches against the(what I will call) the side walls. It's a rectangular room. next, the entertainment center will be on one end which will mean re-routing all the rear speaker wires, (AGAIN!) but it will also put the surrounds behind the listening position and near the cieling. any thoughts? (close to the cieling because ther are doorways on the back wall)/the side walls won't work cause of other doorways and windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks