Surround speaker placement...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronD, Feb 7, 2002.

1. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

OK, I've got a bit of a pickle... My listening position is a couch against a wall and I'm unable to mount the surrounds on the side walls. On one side wall I have an air conditioner and on the other are stairs. My only options are to mount on the same wall my listening position is against. Whats the best solution for mounting these things? High on the wall behind pointing forward or angled down or something?
    Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Are your surround speakers direct firing, dipoles, bipoles? I assume they are direct radiators.

Under normal circumstances, I recommend that rear directs are placed behind the listening position at least a few feet back because they need breathing space just like the speakers up front do. This would be like placing front speakers a few inches from the listening position for example. In this case since it is not possible, my first goal would be to try to "disperse" the surround sound as best as I could. This would involve experimentation. One question I have..... Your couch is along the backwall. How wide is the room? If you have space on each side of the couch then you could mount the surround speakers on the backwall and have them fire forward (not aimed at the listening position). How large are your speakers also?

3. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

The room is probably 20' wide and the couch is off center. I'm looking at getting a pair of B&W DM600's for surrounds.
    Heh, thanks for the help!
    -Aaron

4. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

If I have them say 4' to either side of the couch and up on the wall maybe 6-7' pointing forward will this help significantly? Currently I've got them on stands on either side of the couch pointing in.
    Thanks again,
    Aaron