What's new

Surround speaker placement (1 Viewer)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
In a 5.1 setup, where do you guys have your surround speakers setup? I am planning approximately where my speakers are going to be placed, but am unsure if they should be placed behind me or on the side of me. Of course once they are purchased I will test both places, buy I am curious what you guys have found.

If it helps, I will be having 2 rows of seats as well.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Because I am going to have 2 rows of seats, should I put it behind the second row, or the first? I will be sitting in the first row 90% of the time.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I'd make sure you put the speaker where it sounds best for where the primary seats are (front row). If you are like me, you will use your HT a lot either by yourself or with maybe your sig. other and will be seated in the front row. When you do have a bunch of friends over for movie night and you want them to have the best experience, give them the front row and take a seat in the back. My room is setup with the sweet spot front and center. When I have people over, I put them in the sweet spot and take a side couch. That said, try not to have your surrounds in front of the back row. You may compromise the front row sound a little, but not much, but putting the surrounds even with or a little behind the back row is probably going to be the best solution. Try both.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I've got mine to the side, slightly behind, with the rear surround in the ceiling and behind about 4 feet or so. I definitely have a sweetspot on the main couch, but like someone else said, that is where we sit most of the time, and if guests are over they get to sit there.

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
Depending on how much separation there is between rows I have seen sides dualed, one set for each row. It was done by using a 7 channel amp instead of a 5 channel amp and splitting the surround left & right out from the receiver to the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks