What's new

Surround speaker placement (1 Viewer)

TonyDi

Auditioning
Hello. I just ordered my Rocket ELT 5.1 setup. Due to my room configuration (fireplace in corner), one of my surrounds (left) will probably be about 4 ft in front of the other and directly beside the listening area. I cannot put the right surround to the other side because there is no wall there to mount it to, so it will have to be on the rear wall. If I put the left on the rear wall it will cause the surrounds to be closer together than the fronts. Room size is 17.5x17.5 If I side mount one surround and rear mount the other will this have a significant impact on sound quality? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Tony

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
Would your listening area be a candidate for very small surround speakers like Bose? You could mount the one where there is no wall on a pedestal stand next to a piece of furniture. They are very unobtrusive. Sound quality is amazing. The Bose system's weakness is their subwoofer that doesn't put out much below 40 HZ, which is not good enough for good home theater. But, you could purchase one of their complete home theater systems and change to a better sub later.

If the above will work, you may want to consider bipolar or dipolar surrounds, as they seem to be less critical of placement.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Have you considered wall mounting one surround and putting the other on a stand? You might have some issues with height variation between the two, but it could get you closer to optimal than what you are currently trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks