Surround speaker placement

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Allen C Hecht, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Allen C Hecht

I currently have a Polk Audio RM6500 speaker system, utilizing 4 sattelites(2 in front, 2 rear surrounds), a polk center, and a Yamaha sw125 sub. Recently purchased an HK avr525 receiver. I want to add two more speakers for a 7.1 setup, which I am assuming need to be placed at the sides of the room. I am looking at Axiom QS40. Am I better off putting the Axioms in the back(behind main listening/viewing couch)and moving the Polk sattelites to the side, or just putting the Axioms up on the side walls, or does it matter? Help!

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

If you are going to have the receiver matrix everything to 7 speakers it probably won't matter much which you use as side surrounds or back surrounds, but I would use the better speakers as the regular surrounds(on the side in a typical setup) and the other ones as back surrounds.

DJ

4. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

The latest Widescreen Review mag has a nice article about speaker placement which is exactly the way I set up mine. I recommend you buying a copy of that edition. Cant tell more now cause I am working now :)
    regards