1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Surround speaker placement question in a 6/7.1 setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyTone, Nov 15, 2002.

1. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

I currently have a 7.1 setup where, although the surround back speakers are placed behind me, the surrounds are forward of the prime listening position. I placed the surrounds where they are as a sort of a compromise--I have two smaller sofas to either side and forward of the main sofa, facing each other. Putting the surrounds in a direct line with the main listening position would place them to the sides of the side sofas, in which case people sitting on either sofa would essentially be sitting next to the surrounds and of course not getting surround information from both surrounds; OTOH, such a placement would be more or less ideal for the primary listening position.

Is it an absolute rule that the surrounds in a 6/7.1 setup should be placed no more forward than the listening position, as given in the Dolby web site?

Thanks!

2. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

To get the surround effect they must be behind the listening postion. Can you maybe lay them on their backs in the prime location to point them at the ceiling? That way at least you have less direct sound. They of course would have to be front ported.
    Now while we have yet another placement thread I have a question. Does anybody have their 5.1/6.1/7.1 speakers setup using the DVD Audio model ie all speakers equadistant from the sweetspot?Is there any reason to not do it that way? I ask this because when I get more amps I will be able to setup in that manner. However it will create some inconvenience for family members if I set up in that way.

3. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Understood; however, by placing the surrounds somewhere behind the primary listening position, they will be pretty close (approx. 4 ft.) to the surround back speakers, due to the main sofa being approx. 4 ft. away from the rear wall. I had initially placed the surrounds somewhat behind the listening position but their location resulted in their physical placement being alongside the left and right sofas--not visually appealing at all; I don't have much leeway as far as speaker placement aesthetics are concerned since my family room is open-ended on both sides.

Has anyone else with 7.1 setups placed their surround speakers forward of the prime listening position, as opposed to somewhere behind as diagrammed and/or recommended on the Dolby HT website and in many HT receiver setup manuals?