Surround speaker placement problems. Need suggestions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Price, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I am currently finishing my basement for my media room and have discovered that I'm going to have a bit of a problem with my surround speaker placement. Here's the room and the intended layout:
    [​IMG]
    What that picture doesn't show is that the top surround speaker (in the picture) is actually right in the middle of a window. This won't work so well. [​IMG]
    The problem is that the right edge of the window on the top wall is even with the left edge of the opening between the theater and pool table rooms. So, the only way I could position side surrounds would be to put them about 8' high (above the window). I'm assuming this would be a bad thing, right?
    I had been planning to use Paradigm Reference Studio/ADP's on the side walls, but may not be able to now. So, looking at my room, can anyone make a suggestion for rear speaker placement and speakers (based on that placement)?
    My mains and center are:
    Paradigm Reference Studio 80's (v1)
    Paradigm Reference Studio CC
    I'd also like to be able to expand to 6.1 or 7.1 in the future, so take that into account.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

I have a similar problem. I would have to hang the rears 8.1ft high. I opted to use 21" speaker stands instead. I will be using the Paradigm Studio 40's and a CC in the rear.

3. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Unforunately, speaker stands really aren't an option due to traffic paths and all that - they would just be in the way and prone to being knocked over. Whatever I go with, they will need to be wall/ceiling mounted.
    Anyone else have any thoughts?
    ------------------
    -Jason
    If at first you don't succeed, see if the loser gets anything...