What's new

Surround speaker placement problem (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Gotta love the forum. You know when you type in a really long post, and the forum hickups and loses all of your hard work. Ok, I'm going to try again...

I just bought a pair of Paradigm Titans to use a surrounds in my new place. The problem is where I'm going to put them. One thing I do know is that they have to go on the walls, since I have no floor space for them (why I got the speakers in the first place) and the ceiling is concrete. It will be close to the ceiling since I have a patio door on one side. The problem I'm having is on the other side, where the wall goes back about 10', then turns away for the door to the first floor. For Example:

------------

|*F**C**F**| Ch = Chair

|**********| F = Front Speakers

|**********| C = Center

D**********| S = Subwoofer

D**Ch*Ch***| D = Door

D**********|-D-|

D**Couch*******|

|**************D

|*S*Equipment**|

----------------

Edit: Damn, I thought I was going to get proportional spacing if I selected Courier....

The problem with mounting the right speaker on the wall is that it sits between the front chairs and the couch. My understanding is the surrounds should be slightly behind the listeners on the sides. Well, that isn't going to happen in this room. So, my options, as I see them:

1. Make the compromize and put the speaker on the wall, knowing it will be between the chairs and the couch.

2. Building a shelf on the wall where the door to upstairs is and putting the speaker on that. That will put the speaker in-line with the couch.

3. A suggestion from the dealer (after he tried to sell me dipoles that cost twice as much), to mount them on the back wall.

Personally, I like #2, but I want to hear other people's ideas...

Jason

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
I think any of those options would work ok. If you prefer option #2, do it. When at the theater, the surrounds (usually 3 or 4 to a side) are spread across the sides of the auditorium, including in front of many listeners. I think a lot of people are a bit too anal about the placement. Any of your options will provide a nice listening experience.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Paradigm makes brackets specifically for the Titans. Why not just use those? www.paradigm.ca - look under Premier Furniture. Put them on the back wall, slightly toed in to reduce side wall reflection. For the same reason, if you put them close to the ceiling, you will want them angled slightly down, but between both adjustments, not pointed directly at the listener(s). Your shelf idea should be fine also, but either way, you will probably want to plug the ports since you will have bass issues with the port so close to the wall (Paradigm sells them also).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Paradigm makes brackets specifically for the Titans. Why not just use those?
I am getting those. I'm just trying to figure out where to mount them.

So, you think the ports might be a problem? I didn't think about that. I'll talk to the dealer about that. (I need to go back for the mounts anyways.)

As for mounting it in the back, if I were to upgrade to a 6.1-7.1 system, would I just put the new speakers between the ones on the back, or would it be better to have the surrounds on the sides, with the rear center(s)?

Jason

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In a 7.1 setup, two should be beside the listener (bi/dipole) and two behind (either monopole or bi/di).

I believe I read on Paradigm's site that they recommend plugging the ports when using their brackets.

I can attest to the fact that these speakers like to be positioned with about 1 foot behind them, or they start to get boomy, maybe a little muddy. When they have room to breathe, they sing. I have 2 pairs of Titans, one set as surrounds in my main system, and as mains in my bedroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks