Surround speaker placement advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Eastman, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

My new speaker brackets will be arriving on Friday and I'd like to have some opinions on placement.
    Currently, my direct-radiating rear speakers (Paradigm Mini Monitors) are positioned so the tweeter is roughly in-line with the viewers' heads while sitting on the sofa. The new speaker brackets (seen in this link) will put the speaker out from the wall a couple of inches and can accommodate a 10-degree tilt up or down. Since the speakers will be right next to a room entryway (room picture in this link) I would prefer to have them as high as possible to keep them from being bumped while people enter and exit the room.
    I'm thinking of placing the speakers 6-12" below the 8-foot ceiling. Creating a more diffuse rear soundfield is not a problem as I've always appreciated the diffuse nature of dipoles for rears. Would you place them this high? If not, how high would you place them?

2. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a perfect hieght to me, keep them high to diffuse sound...you could even point them slightly towards the rear wall to increase effect.

3. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Aren't Mini-Monitors rear ported? If they are is it ok to put them so close to the wall?