Surround speaker orientation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyF, Dec 9, 2002.

1. AndyF

AndyF Agent

I know the common installation method for mounting surrounds is to place them slightly above ear level. Due to furniture locations and WAF restrictions, I have to mount them next to the ceiling.

The orientation of most bookshelf speakers is for the tweeter to be above the woofer.

If I rotate a surround speaker 90deg, should I be concerned about dispersion angles even if it's a surround speaker?

I'm only thinking about this because speakers that are laid sideways for use as a center channel typically have a different xover to compensate for the change in orientation.

If I should adjust the xover, where should a novice go to design it? My first guess would be to use the LEAP service at Madisound.

Should I rotate the speaker so that the tweeter is closer to the listener or farther away?

The kits I've been considering using for this are:

Adire Kit81 (if I can reduce the depth to around 9in)
    Audax Surround Speaker

I'm looking at these because they don't have a rear port. (they will be mounted directly against the wall. best I can do...)

For kits with asymmetrical TM layouts, should I have the tweeter below the center line (remember I rotated it 90deg) or above the center line?

Why am I considering rotating it 90deg? A 9in wide speaker will blend in a *little* better with a decorative ceiling border than a 12in or 14in tall speaker.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Andy

2. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

I have my rear speakers on 24" Roman columns firing straight up, to induce alot of off axis. Rear channel speakers should not point at the listener except when listening to some of the new DTS DVD and DVD-A music disks. I think this would be ok, try first with the tweeters out.

3. AndyF

AndyF Agent

Oops...

except for the x-over question and possibly the affects of reducing the volume of an Adire Kit81, this should go in the Speaker forum.

sorry about that.