Surround Speaker Options

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tom Donaghue, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

I've recently purchased a pair of Boston Acoustics VR3s and BA VR920 for my L/C/R setup and I'm looking now to round out the surround and surround back section.

I'm considering the BA VRX and VR-MX surrounds for surround duty and also considering using the BA CR75s or CR85s for surround back or possibly BA VRBs. My listening habits are probably 70 HT/30 music, but the music side could soon be a larger percentage as I've also just purchased a DVD-A/SACD player, only had DVD-A previously.

My concerns for the surround backs are that the 75s/85s may not match as well as the VRBs with the fronts as they are using a different tweeter type (Kortec soft dome tweeter instead of the VRH.O. tweeter found in the VR series). However, knowing how little of the signal the surround backs currently handle and that I can get the 85s for half the price of the VRBs, I'm leaning towards the 85s.

I'm also considering using Axioms for the back sound stage with QS8s or one of their architectural series speakers for surrounds and one of their bookshelf models as surround backs. I understand these obviously wouldn't timbre match with the BAs up front, but from several descriptions, the sonic characteristics are similar. The Axioms could average out to be about the same cost-wise or a bit cheaper if I buy from the outlet and taking into consideration all of the highly positive reviews of their surrounds, I thought that might be a viable option. I'm not a staunch believer that the surrounds need to match the fronts, but from a tonality standpoint when listening to multi-channel music, this might have more of an impact.

Any ideas/suggestions on this? Other options are welcome as well. I currently have another on-wall and bookshelf surrounds that sound fine, but after upgrading my front sound stage, I'd like to round things out similarly.

Thanks in advance... -TD

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

The matching of surrounds to is nowhere near as critical as matching L/C/R speakers. Therefore, I would go for whichever sound and look the best in addition to having the most reasonable cost.

BTW Only you know how often you tend to use the multi-channel setting. I would want a very close to exact match for surrounds if you use it a lot.

3. Tom Donaghue

Thanks for the input, Reginald. Agreed, the front sound stage is much more critical than the surrounds for HT, but if my multi-channel listening will likely increase with an additional option with SACD, a larger number of Dual Disc releases being available and if any record labels take advantage of HD-DVD, I would likely benefit from the more comparable timbre matching than separate front and back stage speaker mfgrs.

Has anyone been able to do any comparisons of Axiom and Boston Acoustics together? Just curious to see how similar, if at all, their sound is... - TD

4. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

If you're buying them locally just charge both brands check them out and take back the set that doesn't cut it.

5. Tom Donaghue

The BAs I could test drive from a local Magnolia, assuming they have the models I'm looking for or at the very least, similar ones. The Axioms I'd need to order and then shipped back if not satisfied. They (Axiom) do have an excellent trial offer and I'm sure I could do the same w/the BAs within 30 days, but with two sets of each brand, I'm looking at 1,500.00 to compare the two brands (two sets), little more than I can pony up right now.

I may consider just doing the main surrounds comparison as they'll likely be more involving than the back surrounds and this should cut down on the cost for now. I was hoping a few people might have experience with the two, but I haven't seen much feedback as of yet...[​IMG] -TD