Surround Speaker Location

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim A, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Jim A

Jim A Auditioning

I just bought the JBL NPS1 Home Theater Speaker setup and need help with locating the rear surrounds.
    My room is rectangular with the TV (Sony 53HS10) located in a corner of the room. The fronts and center are no problem to position, but I am having trouble deciding where to place the rear surrounds.
    Here is a link to the pictures and drawings of my den:
    http://www.geocities.com/eyedigit/HomeTheater.htm
    Thnaks,
    Jim

2. Jim A

Jim A Auditioning

Fixed my links...

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

First of all, any suggestion based on your room drawing layout is just that, . . . a suggestion.
    So, here goes, . . . I would leave the left surround at the indicated blue dot location, and place the right surround to the right side of the fireplace, if you can. Angle and point the surrounds towards each other across the room. The surround pointing angle should be parallel to the TV surface, or as close as possible. The surround speakers height should be equal, about 6-feet off the floor, . . . like with my right surround, which is measured to the bottom of the cabinet. The left surround is on top of a 6' high book oak shelf & both speakers point towards each other across the room
    REF Calibration will balance the entire system to your 'sweet spot' - probably, you can use the right side of the couch for your 'sweet spot' (left couch next to the single chair).
    Future: One day, if you upgrade to 6.1, your rear center could be located where you drew the right blue dot in your drawing, but move it slightly left above your single chair. Again, the same height as the surrounds but point that speaker directly towards your TV screen.
    Anyway, here's one suggestion to ponder,
    Phil