1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Surround speaker height

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ronneil Camara, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

1. What should be the ideal height for the surround speakers?
    2. What is an ideal crossover setting? THX recommends 80khz or 80hz. I coudn't remember what unit it was. [​IMG]

Also, I need some suggestion. My basement is finished. I don't have any access to the other side of the dry walls. How would I put the surround speakers? Btw, I will be buying and using Paradigm ADP-170 for the surround speakers. I am planning of putting a half an inch wood to the drywall. Then this is where I will put the ADP-170 surround speaker.

Please let me know your recommendation.

Thanks.

Neil

2. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

you could hear alot in the 80khz range, if you only were a bat [​IMG] [​IMG]

thx(ultra) crossover for surroundspeakers is 80hz for thx (select) it's 100hz.

regards, holger

3. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I like mine about 6.5 feet from the floor. people say head level but I think its too much and thats at spl meter readings.

I think it perfect where they are directed at eachother. everyone has their own taste. i figure if speakers are good enough high in the theaters its good enough for me. just turns out by testing thats where I like them. found them to be too much low and head level.

beside the HT store I go to mount them high to come to think of it.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I consider it a music vs. movies decision.

For movies, higher up on the wall is usually recommended. But for 5.1 music (hi-rez studio stuff with instruments in the back channels, as opposed to live recordings where the rears are just ambience, audience noises etc.)I like the rears to be set with the tweeters at or about ear height.

In my room, I have them on stands with the tweeters at about ear height because I listen to a lot of hi-rez music. I find that I can accept the less than optimal placement for film because I am focusing on what is happeing on the screen, which tends to mask the fact that the rear speakers are somewhat more localizable (is that a word????).

BGL

5. SteveLeach

SteveLeach Stunt Coordinator

The short answer is 2 to 3 feet above ear level when sitting and listening to a movie.
    Here is a link http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html where speaker placement is discussed. But remember these are only guide lines. Ultimately you should put them where you think they sound the best.

6. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

sorry, I dont mean to overtake this thread, but I have a quick question regarding the surroung height. I have two beams that across my living room that are 10 feet above the floor, the seating area is between the two beams, if I get one of the swivel mounts and angle the surrounds towards the sofa from the beams, will it be adequate?

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Define adequate[​IMG]

Seriously, there are many users out there enjoying there systems with layouts that are far from optimum. At the end of the day, we all must do what works in our rooms.

Is ceiling mount aiming down the "optimum" placement? Probably not. Is is adequate, and will you enjoy the system that way? Most likely yes.

Don't sweat it, put them in the best place that you can, crank up Star Wars AOTC, and enjoy yourself.

BGL

8. Jared Rachwalsk

Jared Rachwalsk Auditioning

I use the ADP 170's in my system.

Due to less-than ideal room setup they are mounted at 7feet above the ground, and they sound very nice.

They came with heavy duty drywall plugs that have held the speakers in place for over a year (mounted directly to the drywall, not studs)

9. Ronneil Camara

Hey guys,

Sorry, I was away for a while. But thanks for all the reply. I really like the link at dolby.com sent previously.

I have a another question though. Right now, I have the wires directly connected to my receiver and my speaker. Will there be any performance degradation if I introduce banana plugs in my setup? It's just that I wanted to make it look nicer.

Thanks in advance.

Ronneil

10. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

With regard to the height of surrounds, experiment. Both my daughter and I would take turns assuming the listening position, while the other manuvered the speakers into different positions and, surprisingly, we both liked the same position, which was about two feet above listening level.

As for bananas, I've never noticed a sonic difference and, man, are they more convenient. I love the things.

11. Ronneil Camara

Btw, I have another question. Here is how my setup looks like now, http://restricted.dyndns.org/problem.jpg.

Right now, I only have the front right and left speakers. If you will look at the screenshot of my basement, I won't have any problem mounting the left surround speakers on the drywall. But the problem is going to be on the right surround speakers. It's an airduct. If I mount it near the door(furnace), then it will be very near my front speakers.

So maybe I thought, you can give me some recommendations.

Thanks in advance again.

Ronneil

12. Ronneil Camara

Looks like the link I sent doesn't seem to work. It's because the trailing period is being added to the URL. Just omit it. Anyways, here it is again

http://restricted.dyndns.org/problem.jpg

Apology [​IMG]

Ronneil

13. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

why dont you use the other end for your tv then you would have wall space to mount your speakers and get better acoustics. your fronts are powerful so they wont be affected as much.

my cellar is similar and thats how I set it up, facing the opposite way than you have it now.

plus you can get your equipment away from the heat vent.

14. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i couldnt decide what height to put my rears so i just got towers for surrounds [​IMG] nothing beats a nice full range tower for a surround, especially for DVD-audio and SACD surround discs.

15. Ronneil Camara

Ralph B,

Actually, the bad thing about my basement is the shape. It's not rectangular but rather L shape. I actually have a surround screenshot of my basement. It's almost close to 360 degrees. Here it is. Taken before I got the speakers and the receiver.

http://restricted.dyndns.org/basement.jpg

and the dimensions

http://restricted.dyndns.org/basement.gif

Hope you or anyone can advice again [​IMG]

Thanks.

Ronneil

16. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I know! I could tell before you even posted you pics. again, use the other end for seating(the opposite way, put your seat turned around where the tv is and plus you will have a better view with the tv further away). I did and it works out perfectly.