cilz88

Auditioning
Real Name
Cillian Barry

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If your tv has a digital output then any a/v surround sound receiver would work. Entry level models can be had for a song. If your tv doesn't have a digital output then you would need a satillite receiver or cable box to hook the receiver up to. Of course, a dvd player would also have a digital output.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

That isn't necessarily true. Many TVs will only output digital audio from their own internal OTA tuners. If you have a cable or satellite box or DVD player connected to such a set it will not pass the audio from those sources through to the receiver.

This is more of a convenience issue in any event, since it allows one to connect everything to the TV and use the TV speakers most of the time, and just have a single connection to the AVR when surround sound is needed. But you can end up with the same results by a different route even without an available pass-through digital output on your TV.

Cillian the main thing folks here will need to know before advising you is the specific make and model of all of your AV sources - cable or satellite (make & model of the receiver or DVR), DVD player, game console, separate CD player if you use one. That way we can look up the available connection options for all the components and the TV (we'll need the model number for that as well), which in turn will establish the connection requirements for the AVR. Since you've purchased a 5.1 speaker set and seem to be on a budget, there's probably no reason for spulrge on a 7.1 channel receiver. There are plenty of 5.1 channel AVRs at very reasonable prices, so I don't think we'll have too much trouble finding models to recommend once we have the rest of the information on your existing equipment in hand.

Regards,

Joe

cilz88

Auditioning
Real Name
Cillian Barry
I have Sony KDL32U3000 and a ps3. There seems to be no digital output on the tv but there is on the ps3. I bought a digital optical cable and this fits in the ps3. Thanks for your help

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
How are you getting your TV signal? Over-the-air antenna? Cable? Is the cable coming straight from the wall or do you have a cable box? (If so, need make and model.) I'm not a gamer, but aren't there different versions of the PS3? Might need an exact model number here, too. Is the PS3 your sole DVD player?

Thanks,

Joe

cilz88

Auditioning
Real Name
Cillian Barry
theres no real model number for the ps3 but it's the 40gb version! 2 versions but only difference is that one is 80gb and one si 40gb i think. I get my tv signal through an indoor aerial. ps3 is my sole dvd player. Thanks

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Three brands I like, all 5.1 channels:

Sherwood RD-6105 (msrp $249 but actual street price is probably much lower) This is the least expensive A/V receiver I personally would consider, IMO basically the Chevrolet of receiver brands i.e. good build quality but not filled w/fancy features.

Pioneer VSX-518 (msrp $199)

Yamaha HTR-6030 (msrp $229)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks